Thursday 8 September 2016

Tumour Full of Caffeine

           


            On the morning of Thursday, July 14th, when I uploaded the video footage I’d shot the previous day I saw that the only thing recorded was the few minutes of my ride to the food bank.
            That evening I started again with a full charge.
At Spadina I encountered Dennis, whose last name has slipped my mind. I know it’s a French name and that he doesn’t speak French. I know that he’s from Nova Scotia and I remember him from the open stage that the Lesley Spit Treeo used to host at the Cameron House back in the 90s because he used to read his poetry on the open stage. He asked if I was in a hurry and I told him “a little bit” because my bike rides are times for at least 47 and a half minutes because I want to see how much territory I can cover in that much time, but Dennis kept on talking and the time isn’t that important in the long run.
He told me I looked great and asked, “What are you, 55 now?” That was nice. He seemed surprised that I was 61. He told me that he’s almost 70. I told him that I feel pretty good until I reach down and feel my belly. Then he started to preach that caffeine is the cause of all stomach problems. He said he’d thought his problem was beer but then he gave up caffeine instead and felt better. He blamed every problem that one could really attribute to just getting older, on caffeine. He claimed that a tumour full of caffeine had been removed from his body.
I continued on, hoping that the bike cam had recorded the conversation.
It was hot, but there were big black and ominous but fluffy clouds in the sky that looked like they could knock the high rises over.
I rode up Donlands to Sammon and then east to Greenwood, exploring the southbound streets along the way.
There was a strangely large amount of traffic on Queen Street West on my way home.
The rain burst just as I was unlocking my door.
When I tried to upload my videos I got an error message, so now I don’t know how to get them out of the camera.
            An episode of Hawaiian Eye had Connie Steven’s character sing a funny song. They’re all usually crap and really so is this one but it was humorous anyway. It was about the music of Latin America and how it’s causing her back problems because she has to shake her body too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment