Monday 5 September 2016

The Elvis Presley Sandwich

           


            On Friday, July 8th, I was hoping it would rain, because I am behind on my journal and needed some extra time.
            In the evening I rode to Bayview and Eglinton, then went east. There’s construction for quite a ways until the side streets start running south again. I went down to Vanderhoof and across the Laird. I stopped at a windowless fortress of a pub called “The Local”. I went inside looking for a washroom. The place has a lot of twenty-somethings and seemed to be really happening in a suburban sort of way. I discovered that I don’t have to even go into the bar to get to the washrooms, so that’s good to know for next time.
            On my way home along Queen Street, the cable for my right gear shift snapped, so that meant that Saturday afternoon would be another day when I wouldn’t get any writing done because I’d have to spend a few hours at Bike Pirates.
            So on Saturday, July 9th, at about 11:45 I took my bike over to Bike Pirates because my gear line was broken. There were five people already on the sidewalk waiting for the shop to open, but when it did, it turned out that a couple of them weren’t there with bikes but just to inquire about buying them. There were lots of stands available and I was glad that the person who’d opened up was the one that in my experience has been the nicest, most helpful and most knowledgeable of all the Bike Pirates volunteers. I think his name is Alain, or something that sounds like that.
            I not only had to change my gear cable and the housing, but also the right shifter, on Alain’s advice. That took at least a couple of hours work, but once that was done, I wanted to address a problem that had been plaguing my bike rides for the last couple of weeks. There has been a clanking noise when I pedal, and though it didn’t seem to impede the function of my bike, it was loud and embarrassing. I was worried though that perhaps it was symptomatic of a bigger problem, perhaps with the axle. It turned out it was the pedal itself making all the noise. I set about to change it but I couldn’t get the old one off. Neither could Alain, so he told me I’d have to change both the pedal and the arm. I had no problem getting the arm off. In replacing the arm though, some of the second hand choices were extremely heavy, so Alain said he ideal would be to find one of a lighter allow. While I was looking through a box of arms, Alain found a very light one for me, but it had a broken bolt that had to be removed before we could use it. After I got that out, I had to find another left pedal.
I asked Alain why it was that even though the right pedal is the one I’m always banging into doorframes and curbs, it’s always the left pedal that gets broken. He laughed and said he didn’t know. I think my late bike mechanic, Agostino, told me once that it had to do with which leg applies the most force while pedalling.
I couldn’t find an exact match for my right pedal, but I found another metal one, because in my experience the metal pedals last longer than the plastic. It wasn’t very difficult to get the new second hand pedal and arm on my bike.
Next, since I was in the shop already, I wanted to make sure that my front brakes were okay. Alain said that my pads still had some life in them, but they were catching the rim too softly. We ended up changing the cable because it was frayed.
Dennis, who was making sandwiches in the kitchen, came to tell Alain that he had two choices: tomato or Elvis Presley. After he walked away I asked Alain, “Elvis Presley?” Alain said that he meant peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I wondered, “Would those have to be deep fried? Wasn’t that the thing?” The guy in the next stand smiled and nodded, agreeing that that was indeed the thing. Alain thought that Elvis also had another weird ingredient that he added to that, like pickles. I looked it up later and according to Wikipedia, the other ingredient was bacon, but one variation was an entire loaf of Italian bread stuffed with caramelised bananas, peanut butter, bacon and grape jelly.
Alain said that my back brakes also needed adjusting, but after we made an adjustment, as soon as we tried to test them, the cable snapped, so we had to change the cable. Fortunately I didn’t need to replace the housing because I have duct tape all around that where it runs along my crossbar.
It took four hours in total to get all of the work I needed done at Bike Pirates even though I was fading after three hours and really wanted to go home to sleep for a while. Since the only new parts were the cables, I gave them ten dollars for them, but could only afford to donate three dollars this time for the second hand parts and the help, because I was out of shaving cream and hair conditioner and really needed to keep my last five-dollar bill for that.
I took my bike for a test drive in the alley behind my place and Bike Pirates. The gears and the brakes were working great, though the gear shifter is on a slightly different angle and so it would take a few rides to adjust.
I took a siesta and figured I’d decide whether or not to take a long bike ride once I woke up.
I woke up at 18:00 when Cad called to ask if the Yellow Door open stage was happening. I told him I didn’t think that it was. I think that 6 St Joseph has actually closed all its programs for the summer.
            When I got up I saw that it had been raining, so I wouldn’t have taken a bike ride anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment