Monday 12 September 2016

Leaside

           


            On the Sunday morning of July 24th, I was vacuuming under some kitchen furniture and I found another dead bird. I think it must have been one of the first ones that Jonquil killed because it was all dried up and now it seems that she’s acquired a taste, since she eats the whole bird now.
            In the evening I headed out for my bike ride. It wasn’t as hot as it’s been lately, though I was still sweating. This time I immediately turned on Croatia, as I could see that the street festival was still going on at Bloor and Brock. On Croatia Street near a tree I saw a kid dressed as a bee.
            I’ve gotten into the habit of looking for the hawk flying near the top of the building that houses the Tim Hortons at the southeast corner of Bloor and Sherbourne. This time it was standing where it usually lands, at the northwest corner of the building, and looking north.
            I rode across the Leaside Bridge and explored a couple of the streets north of Overlea. The most interesting was Canvarco Road, because even though it’s in an industrial area there are a couple of little specialty stores on the north side. One of them is an antique shop called “Good Bones” and the other is a wrought iron foundry and boutique called “Iron Man”. I talked to the antique shop owner. He told me he’s been there for three years but has been in business on the same street for longer than that. I took a few photos of the outside, but the inside looked pretty crowded with junk, so I didn’t go in.
            That night I watched an episode of the Honeymooners in which Ralph and Alice were going to a costume party and Alice came out wearing a very short puffy little girl’s dress, holding a big lollipop and with her hair in pigtails. She asked Ralph what he thought of it and he asked, “Where’s the rest of it? Your knees are showin!” Alice replied that she was going as a twelve-year-old girl and that a twelve-year-old girl is supposed to show her knees. Ralph yelled, “Not when the twelve year old girl is married ta me she aint!”


No comments:

Post a Comment