Monday 3 October 2016

Close A Bar Because of Fumigation? Sacrilege!

           

            On the Sunday evening of August 7th, I rode up Broadview to Mortimer and then east. I was stopped at the Pape traffic light when a guy waiting for the Mortimer bus started making conversation. “Nice day for a bike ride!” he commented. I hadn’t really thought about it. He said it wasn’t as hot as Friday and Saturday had been. I argued that there’d been some cloud cover the day before. He shared the information that on Monday the humidity would be returning. The light change and I said “See ya later!”
            I explored the streets from Mortimer, north to Plains Rd and from Greenwood east to Linnsmore. Before starting my return trip, I looked along Cosburn for a place to pee and saw Sophie’s Sports Bar and Grill. When I opened the door I was surprised to see a priest on the way out, accompanied by an attractive Black woman and someone else that I didn’t notice.
            I asked the rotund, late middle-aged jolly Greek man with the apron if I could use the washroom and he enthusiastically pointed the way, almost insisting that I use their facilities. The bar reeked from the odour of insecticide and I was choked just from arriving and leaving. I couldn’t imagine sitting there and breathing those fumes while drinking a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment