Wednesday 5 October 2016

Like A Duck On A Bike



            When I left for my bike ride on the Thursday evening of August 11th, it didn’t seem as hot outside as it was in my apartment, though it was extremely muggy.
            The new bike lane they are building on Bloor Street is increasingly worse. They now have posts up to separate the parking space from the path makes it even narrower so it’s not possible for cyclists to pass one another. There were a lot of bikers heading east and so I found myself on a few occasions going out into the middle of Bloor Street just so I could get around and past them.
            When people walk from their cars they seem to figure they can walk along the path for a while. I had to tell one guy to watch out and as I approached a couple that was just standing there I called out, “Bike path! Bike path!” then the guy said, “Sorry!” as they moved out of the way.
            At Yonge and Bloor a drunk was spread eagled on his back and out cold in front of the Bay. There were breadcrumbs lying on the sidewalk making an outline of his body that pigeons were pecking at.
            At Bloor and Ted Rogers Way the whole area smelled like puke.
            As I rode up Broadview I was sweating more than I ever remember sweating on a bike ride. I went along O’Connor to Don Mills Rd. I crossed over to the northwest side and waited for the light. When I got my walk signal there were cars turning and waiting for me. I tried to swing my leg up to get onto my higher than average seat. Usually I can do it gracefully, but sometimes I miss. This time it was a little embarrassing that I looked clumsier than a one-legged duck trying get on a unicycle and then to start pedaling.
            I explored a little section of streets just east of Don Mills Rd on the north side of O’Connor. This is a much ritzier neighbourhood than the area directly south around the Danforth. It’s very poor down there, but slowly goes up in class the further north one goes.
            I stopped at the bank machine at Dundas and University to see if I had any money. I knew my Ontario Trillium tax return had been deposited but I didn’t know if it was just going to fill the overdraft that I’d taken out previously. It turned out that I had twenty dollars so I took that out.
            I stopped at Freshco on the way home. They had watermelons for $2.88, and since that looked like it was the cheapest they are going to go this summer, I bought one.

No comments:

Post a Comment