Friday 14 October 2016

Show Off Cyclists




            On Friday, August 26th, I did another virus scan on my computer because it’s been running slowly lately. I noticed this time and during the last virus scan that Windows Defender became more active than usual and snatched some malware before MalwareBytes got to it. Was it a coincidence? Does Windows Defender get woken up by a virus scan? Do the two programs collaborate?
            I looked out my side window and saw Sundar, the building superintendent, puffing away at a cigarette a year or so after he had part of his throat removed because of cancer.
            It was another hot day but I took my bike ride anyway. At the corner of Ossington and Bloor there was a blonde woman with glasses busking with a banjo. She was wearing blue jean cut-offs and thigh length red stockings.
            At Bloor and Bay I smelled something that reminded me of the odour of an e-cigarette, only multiplied by a thousand. On the corner, in front of the Manulife Centre, and situated over a manhole was what looked like a very tall safety cone, out of which a grayish white smoke or vapour was rolling. There was an electronic instrument on the sidewalk beside it, about the size of a suitcase, with wires running under the cone. Were they fumigating something?
            On Danforth I was behind a guy that was showing off by riding with no hands. I used to do that in the 80s, but I don’t feel confident in my control of this bike and I probably wouldn’t do it anyway. He used the handlebars to get ahead of me or to stay ahead of me, but while comfortably in front, he rubbed it in by drumming on his knees and hand clapping rhythms as he pedaled.
            I rode to Danforth and Monarch Park, north to Memorial Park, then east to Coxwell. When I was back on Danforth I stopped for my usual break at Starbucks. There was a whole roll of toilet paper sitting on top of the dispenser and plenty inside, so I took it, because I had none. That roll should tide me over until I have money in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment