Monday 17 October 2016

Coxwell and Danforth




            For some reason, my wi-fi connection to the donut shop downstairs did not time out all day or over the night on Wednesday, August 31st, until I turned my computer off the next morning. I usually have to reestablish the connection after about half an hour to keep it strong. Connecting requires clicking on a choice of ads on the site called “Go Zone” but for the first time in over a year it wasn’t required. I wonder if it was a glitch, or if they’ve changed their format in some way.
            That evening I took my bike ride.
            At Bloor and Yonge there was a small demonstration and a woman with a microphone speaking about accessibility for the disabled. She had a woman sitting in a wheelchair beside her as she spoke.
            I rode to Coxwell and Danforth and looked for the alley behind Danforth to explore. There was no alley between Coxwell and Woodington. There probably used to be, but they probably destroyed it when they built the Coxwell subway station. I rode up Coxwell and turned right on Strathmore, and then I turned right on Woodington. At the bottom, on the left was a beautiful old alley, which I rode through to Glebemount, then back up to Strathmore, west to Woodington and back down.
            I went back to the alley, took out my camera and walked my bike through, taking pictures of interestingly run down garages. There was a black and white cat on a wall that divided the back spaces of two properties. It walked over to see what I was doing and I took some shots of it above. It was too cautious to let me pat it, but it was friendly otherwise.
            I rode around the corner and along Danforth towards Coxwell where I found the now closed Bus Terminal Restaurant. It has some beautiful curves in the manner of what we would call today a “50s style diner” but it opened apparently in 1948.
            At the back of the parking lot beside the diner is a wall with some nice tile artwork in which some of the tiles are mirrors.
            On the other side of Danforth is what looks like perhaps an old hydro building, with a white cylindrical, brick smokestack.
            On my way back, the small protest was still going on at Yonge and Bloor.

No comments:

Post a Comment