Thursday 1 December 2016

Fictionally Deficient



            On the morning of Wednesday, November 23rd I worked at OCADU. I brought along my laptop with me so I could work on my essay, but I didn’t get a lot done. I worked for Milan Pavlovic, who was very businesslike during class but quite personable during the break. With both his students and me. He’s from Russia but has lived in Montreal, and like me he never learned French. A further parallel with my life is that his mother spoke French like mine did.
            After work I took advantage of the fact that I was already downtown and went to professor Russell’s office to show him what I had so far for an essay. There was only one other student ahead of me when I got there and so I stood out in the hall for at least five minutes.
            I only had about three and a half paragraphs to show Devlin. For the most part, the advice that he gave me jibed with criticisms that I’d already realized about what I’d written and voiced while he was reading it. I talked about getting an A on my previous essay and he said that he’d thought that I’d been on my way to an A when I’d first brought it to him. That made me ask then what he thought I was on my way to this time. He said this one was a little choppy, so I’d have to pull it together.
            Our Aesthetics lecture that day was on the subject of photography.
            He reminded us of what Bazin said about both film and photography being imprint and that they put us into causal contact and literally connect us to the subject.
            He showed us two images side by side. On the left was Van Gogh’s painting of the church at Auvers and on the right was a photograph of the same building.
            Then he showed us a painting that looks like a photograph of a glass, with another glass container beside it containing two pencils. So even though the painting is identical to a photograph it is not is causal contact with the subject.
            Walton calls photographs transparent because they are windows to the object. How can he claim this? If the object were to change before the picture were taken then it would be a different photo without the intervention of the agent. But everything that is the same between reality and picture in a painting is the result an agent making it that way.
            I asked about black and white but he said it would still be accurate. The image of the church would still be the same. Indirect seeing is no less literally seeing because there is no agent.
            But photography as photography cannot be representational because an artist did not produce the image. A painting that looks like a photo is representational. How can a photograph be representational? If it can represent things in more detail it can be representational.
            We looked at two images of Batman, side by side. The one on the left was a rendering of batman by an artist and the one on the right was a photograph of Ben Affleck as Batman. Photographs are unable to create fictions. The drawing represents Batman while the photograph represents Ben Affleck in a Batman costume. In the photograph the fiction of Batman is represented but not by the photograph. The fiction of Batman is represented by the costume that Affleck is wearing. Photography is fictionally deficient.

            I finally watched an episode of Johnny Staccato that actually had some good writing. Johnny is hired by a gangster to carry a suitcase full of rock samples from New York to California. But what we knew that Johnny didn’t know was that the suitcase was switched with another containing a bomb. Johnny was instructed to open the case when he was over Arizona. There is a lot of suspense because the case is almost opened several times along the way. Once by someone else who thinks the case is his and a few times by Johnny, with interruptions each time. On the plane he meets a beautiful woman (played by Gena Rowlands, who was John Casavetes real life spouse). When he finds out that she is the gangster’s wife and that he hates her guts, he finally puts two and two together and figures out that there must be a bomb in the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment