Sunday 11 December 2016

Frozen Line-up for Frozen Turkeys



            Before even turning my bike into the driveway behind the Parkdale Food Bank on Saturday I was hit by a wall of sound. The guy with the little green flying saucer shaped portable sound system hanging from his belt was blasting ACDC. He had a self-satisfied look on his face, I assume because the volume of the music enabled him to touch everyone there. It’s not like I object to ACDC being played, but cranked up that high where people are trapped, waiting for something is way too imposing, and though it’s not as bad as second hand smoke, the guy was also smoking.
            I found out that I was behind a shy young, bespectacled woman in a black toque who was behind him. I moved deeper into the driveway to avoid the smoke and the noise, but the smoke this time was blowing away from the music too. The same group of Caribbean women were sitting by the door, along with the group of smokers that enjoy talking with them.
            It’s funny (or sad) when smokers ask people, “Is my smoking bother you?” and then think it’s alright if the person answers, “No.” If you liked to put a little rat poison in your coffee every time you made it because strychnine serves as an extra stimulant along with the caffeine, would you put it in a guest’s coffee if they said it was okay?
            The group by the door was discussing Mick Jagger’s most recent foray into fatherhood. The constantly smoking man with the big white moustache and the big belly, who kind of looked like Wilfred Brimley, had all the info. That Jagger’s oldest child is 46 and now he has a brand new one at the age of 73. The big Jamaican woman commented, “And he doesn’t look too bad!” Moustache said, “You know who else looks great for her age? Jane Fonda! 79 years old! And Dolly Parton looks good too!”
            It was a cold morning. A woman banged on the food bank door and shouted, “We’re freezing our asses off out here! When is the coffee going to be ready?” One of the volunteers came to the door to address the crowd. He said, “I know you guys like to congregate here before the doors open, but …” What? Yeah, it’s just a fun habit we have, because this driveway is such a pleasant gathering place for aficionados of first and second hand smoke. He went on to explain that he was busy preparing everybody’s turkey or ham vouchers and he wouldn’t get anything done with people walking in and out to get coffee. There were a few more things said until he announced that coffee would be ready in five minutes.
            After ten or fifteen minutes there was still no coffee. A guy went and banged on the door. A woman sitting by the door warned him that the volunteers would just get pissed off if he bugged them and then would take longer. He started to go to the front of the driveway, but she called to him, “Don’t bang on the door and then walk away!” So he went back to the door and then suddenly it opened, so he got to go in to get a coffee. This pissed off the woman that had yelled at him because the coffee line-up should follow the order of the number line-up.
            I was trying to read Michael Ondaatje’s “The Complete Works of Billy the Kid” but I only got through a few poems against the distractions and the cold.
            At around 10:30 I stepped into the line-up behind the woman in the black toque but she turned and said I could go ahead of her. I was puzzled and asked why. She just explained that she wasn’t in that much of a hurry and stepped behind me. Maybe I either smell bad from the front or look good from the back.
            There was a line-up running parallel to the one I was in, but I was assured by ACDC guy that the guy in front of that line knew that he was behind me.
            They were supposed to start letting people in to get numbers at 10:30 but they didn’t do so this time until 10:45. I shared with ACDC guy my idea about the food bank hooking a clipboard to the door so that people could put their places in line in writing. He suggested that it made too much sense to work, because then somebody would have to be in charge of the clipboard and also they’d have to get a clipboard out of the Smithsonian.
            I discussed with ACDC guy and the short, bearded guy in the motorcycle jacket who was in front of the other line, how the Parkdale Food Bank is the only one in Toronto that has this two-stage system of getting a number and later getting food. Apparently every other food bank just gives you food after you pass the desk and there’s none of this coming back to wait all over again.
            I guess it was because this was a turkey day that the line-up went to the end of the driveway and then turned to stretch up Cowan towards Queen.
            As I got closer to the door, the big volunteer with the prematurely white hair came out for a smoke. He was talking about there having been a lot of fraud among people getting turkeys on the previous year, with individuals sometimes getting four turkeys with four different names. He claimed that Parkdale is the only food bank in Toronto giving out turkeys for Christmas. I can’t find any proof that’s true and it seems implausible. He also claimed that since it’s volunteer run, if the volunteers were pissed off they could all just shut down and go home and nobody could do anything about it. I think the board of directors could probably do something about it. There are benefits to being a food bank volunteer that they would lose if they were let go. For one thing they don’t have to line up in the cold for their food.
            Even though it was freezing outside the doorkeeper was only letting in one client at a time in whenever someone walked out with a number. There is room for at last five people to stand inside in a small line-up in front of the reception desks. When I was the first person in line he actually commented to me, “Cold, eh?”
            It was already 11:00 when I got number 24. There was barely enough time to go home, but I had to pee anyway, so I walked my bike out of the driveway and around the back of the line-up to ride home for a few minutes.
            When I got back, the line-up for numbers was still just as long, but there were also people in the same line just waiting for a turkey.
            When I got in, some clients were complaining about someone with number 76 who’d managed to jump the line and get served ahead of everyone else.
            A new volunteer called number 28. I told him I had 24 so he served me.
            There always are so many odd items at the top of the first shelf. I just took a can of jalapenos. He gave me a couple of handfuls of those chocolate hockey pucks they seem to have an infinite supply of, then he asked, “Are you good?” I said that I’d rather have the granola bars to the left of the chocolates and so he gave me a few of the Nature Valley Sweet and Salty bars as well. I skipped the pasta, rice, sauce and canned beans, but further in there was real peanut butter so I took that and a can of tuna. My volunteer’s catch phrase before we left each set of shelves was, “Are you good?”
            He gave me a couple of small bottles of Oransoda, which is an imported Italian soft drink and so there is nothing written in English at all. It turns out that it’s now made by Campari, which makes mainly alcoholic beverages. Oransoda has been around since 1940. It’s type of beverage is aranciata, which is similar to Orangina.
            The cereal section had lots of Chex, but I saw far in the back a lonely, large but broken box of Cheerios, so I asked for that. Only the cardboard was broken so I took the bag that was inside.
            Across the aisle, Angie had a half-liter carton of 2% milk, a small frozen Pillsbury pizza and in a bin with turkeys and hams for those with vouchers were also a choice between packages of frozen bologna and ground turkey. I took the ground turkey. I guess that since the turkeys are only available until December 23rd, I’d better bring my voucher in next Saturday. The food bank might not even be open on Saturday the 24th.
            I asked the bread lady for the small loaf of whole grain that was on the upper shelf. She said I could take one more thing, so I took a bag of English muffins.
            I took a green pepper from the bin in front of the vegetable lady. She was about to give me two packages of stuffing but then asked if I had my turkey. Since I didn’t have a turkey she took the stuffing back. She dumped a whole bunch of carrots into my bag, a couple each of sweet potatoes and zucchini. Then she took two handfuls of potatoes and for some reason tossed them toward my bag, some of them missing and hitting the floor. She told me she’d pick them up and got a few more to place in my bag.

            As soon as I got home and placed the perishables away, I took off my motorcycle jacket so it wouldn’t get greasy and immediately took my bicycle up the street to Bike Pirates to repair the wobble in my back tire and to fix my back brakes. I expected to be there for at least three hours, so it was going to be a busy Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment