Tuesday 26 September 2023

Jay Ripley


            On Monday morning I memorized the sixth verse of "Lost Song" by Serge Gainsbourg and adjusted my translation of the final verse. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the second of two days. On Tuesday I'll begin four sessions with the Martin acoustic. 
            The raspberries I bought from No Frills were mostly rotten and so I went out to the Queen Fresh market where I bought two pints of raspberries. Unlike the supermarkets these little stores can't afford to sell overripe fruit. The woman ahead of me made her purchase and left but came back in with two packs of raspberries. She said, "I see you buy so I get!" 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in eight days.
            At around 11:00 I looked out the window and saw an attractive woman in her twenties or thirties walking east on Queen Street entirely naked. She had long, wavy bleached blonde hair and was slim but well proportioned. I think I've seen her in the neighbourhood clothed and at those times she looked like she was on drugs, but here she looked quite relaxed even though she was walking fairly quickly. She was carrying a long, diaphanous coloured scarf that looked like she could easily wrap around herself if she needed to. I opened my window and leaned out to enjoy watching her. About a block east of my place she extended her arms up in the air in a luxurious stretch and then bent them to fluff out her hair. I was impressed and she made my day. 
            I started organizing the photo drawer in my metal two-drawer filing cabinet. I put all the pieces of my Parkdale collage into one folder and photos of cats into another and labeled them. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. I haven't been that hefty at midday in a week. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I started chiseling some more black quartz from a piece of the rock I found six years ago, but because of the renovations in unit 5 the deck is crowded with junk and the landlord is hanging around, so I decided not to do it today. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was updated in my journal at 18:30. 
            I reviewed my September 14 and 15 performances of my song "Megaphor". I played the electric guitar both sessions and I noted the final takes for each day are worth listening to again in the contest to find out which is best. 
            I compared my August 5 acoustic performance of "Megaphor" with the one from August 11. I had noted August 11 as being the best so far but I think August 5 is better. I compared August 22 with August 5 and there is one chord a little off in the August 22 performance, so August 5 is still ahead. I compared August 26 to August 5 and August 5 still looks a lot better. I might be playing slightly better on August 26 but not enough to sway me because August 5 looks so much better and there's also some traffic noise on August 26, so August 5 is still ahead. There are seven more sessions to compare for the acoustic and fourteen for the electric. 
            I continued to organize my photo drawer. Some of the folders are already labeled; "Friends", Acquaintances", "Astrid solo baby pictures", "Astrid from walking to present: small pictures", and "Astrid from walking to present large pictures". I need to add folders for street shots, Astrid and me, girlfriends, and one for all my contact sheets. Then the rest of the folders will need to be labeled to match the labeling for the envelopes where I put all the negatives I scanned. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a pork chop while watching season 7, episodes 8 and 9 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Dr. Janet Craig is on a drive to inoculate everyone in the valley for the flu. She's trained the Bradley sisters to help her give the shots. (Maybe it was different in the 1960s but only a trained health care worker or health care student, including pharmacists and pharmacy students are qualified to administer vaccines in Canada). They manage to inoculate everyone in the valley but Jasper Tweedy and his large family. Jasper refuses to take the shot and even threatens Janet with his shotgun. Janet asks Joe to convince Jasper and so he goes up there to challenge him to a game of checkers. He's letting Jasper win to get him in a good mood but then his son Claude points out that Janet is sitting in a jeep nearby and Jasper realizes it's a trick. He fires salt at them with his shotgun as they drive away. He also tries to sick his dog Gus on them but he won't budge from where he's lying down. Then Billie Joe and Bobbie Joe try to get to Jasper through his son Claude. They flirt with him and promise to go to the dance with him and they are a second away from giving him a shot when Jasper catches them and pulls out his shotgun. He also tells Gus to attack but he's still not moving. Then Janet tries again, this time with Orrin the game warden. Jasper pours moonshine down Orrin's throat, then tells Claude to hold the shotgun on them while he goes to check his still. But Orrin notices that Gus looks sick. Perhaps given courage by the white lightning, Orrin takes the gun away from Claude while Janet gives Gus a vitamin B shot. Later when Janet and the Bradley sisters have given up on the Tweedy family, the whole clan shows up at the Shady Rest. Jasper says that Gus is up and around and so he's impressed with what the doctor has to offer. His family is all there for their flu shots. 
            Claude was played by Jay Ripley, who starred in the movie Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. He appeared in six episodes of Petticoat Junction over the run of the series as basically the same character but with three different names. He had a few other small guest roles in movies and TV series and the one type of character he tended to play was interesting so it's surprising he didn't get more work. 
            In the second story Joe resents sharing a bathroom with Steve and leaves him a nasty anonymous note. It's obvious who Anonymous is and so Steve and Betty Joe start thinking of moving out. They ask Mr. Haney to show them some houses but he takes them to a dilapidated shack. Joe says he'll install a bathroom just for Betty and Steve. He works for a long time and then throws a party for the unveiling. He gets the plumbing crossed so that the sink faucet opens the shower and the shower turns on the sink, but Betty and Steve are grateful for his efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment