Saturday 23 September 2023

Jonathan Daly


            On Friday morning it was almost cold enough to switch the heat on but not quite and it warmed up considerably after sunrise. 
            I memorized the second verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Street Youngster) by Boris Vian and the first three verses of "Lost Song" by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the first day of two. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I sanded some more of the last board that I glued down to fill the depression in my kitchen floor. There's still part of one side that's slightly higher than the floor. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:42. 
            I reviewed my performances of my song "Megaphor" from September 1 to 4. On September 1 I played the acoustic and slightly fumbled a chord near the end. From September 2 to 4 I played the electric and all of the final takes were pretty good. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song "Megaphor" I cut another fifteen minutes or so from Fritz Lang's silent film Spies. There's more than ninety minutes left. 
            I finished scanning the very damaged set of black and white negatives with shots of my daughter shortly after birth. I thought that was the last of the negatives and that all that was left were slides. But the first very long colour strip I grabbed from the wooden cabinet turned out to be colour negatives. They were slow speed shots of lights in motion at night. I think there are more negatives but I assume most of what's in the wooden cabinet are slides. Everything is in long strips so I need to cut them and put them into envelopes. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a pork chop while watching season 7, episodes 2 and 3 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Joe and Sam are fishing. Joe has caught nine while Joe has reeled in two. Sam wants to leave but Joe doesn't think he has enough for dinner so he asks Sam for his two fish. When they come to shore they are greeted by Orrin Pike the new game warden who counts their fish. He says the legal limit for each person is ten and so he gives Joe a ticket. Bobbie Joe meets Orrin while waiting for the Cannonball and brings him back to the Shady Rest. On seeing Orrin, Joe flies into a rage. Joe decides to fight his ticket in court. Bobbie and Orrin start dating. On the day of the court date Bobbie takes Orrin fishing with the intention of distracting him so he won't show up in court, which would cause the case to be dropped. Bobbie Joe started this series as an extremely scholarly character who would rather read a book than date a guy. Over the last half of the series they've made her dumb and ditzy. On this date she pretends to be even more of an airhead than usual to sabotage the chances of Orrin appearing in court. But Orrin remembers and makes it back just before the judge says he's going to close the case. But as Orrin and the judge chat casually and he shows him his catch there are thirteen fish. Orrin only caught ten but Bobbie Joe put her three in Orrin's basket. The judge decides to just make Joe and Orrin donate $5 each to the Wildlife Fund. Despite Bobbie's trick Orrin still wants to date her. 
            Orrin was played by Jonathan Daly who continued appearing as Bobbie Joe's love interest for the remainder of the final season. was part of the Delo and Daly comedy team, who had their own show in Australia for a year. He also hosted the interview show Daly at Night. He co-starred in the short lived Jimmy Stewart Show. He co-starred in the beach party movie Out of Sight, and the WWII movie The Young Warriors. He wrote some episodes of the short lived series Adams of Eagle Lake. 



            In the second story Steve has begun to pay more attention to his one year old daughter Kathy Joe than to his wife Betty Joe. Janet has a talk with Steve and advises him to take Betty for a second honeymoon. They decide to move back into their cottage for two days without Kathy. When they get there they discover that someone has removed all of the fuses but they decide it will be more romantic without electricity anyway. But Joe remembers that he'd removed the fuses and goes to put them all back in. Suddenly the lights, the vacuum cleaner And the radio all come on at once. That night Mr. Haney, the real estate agent they hired to sell the house for them, comes in with a couple to show the place. This middle aged couple has appeared a few times on the series. She's extremely domineering and he's submissive. Steve tells them to leave. Later Betty and Steve are in bed when they hear sounds. Steve and Betty investigate and find that two hoboes have been living in the house and then two more show up as guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment