Saturday 9 September 2023

September 9, 1993: I sang two new songs at Mudds Cabaret


Thirty years ago today

            On Thursday I worked at Sheridan College from 8:00 to 15:00. I went home to rehearse with Tom Smarda and Mike Martin for my November 1 gig at Crickets. Yehudah was supposed to show up but didn't. After rehearsal we all went to Mudds Cabaret where we had a few beers, but Tom didn't. I sang two songs I'd recently written and passed around the Alphabet Orgy group poem: 

I offered my pineapple which was large and ugly but she liked it masochist as she was embracing the cyclone and I took it upon myself to stamp this sickly fruit out of sight Erackshun of the small animal thing aught ollnn what's going on here? Part ache of bread I'm getting so lost in that hair Spanish and some Swiss heavy attitude but you deserve to be lost as well just fuckin' around with friends and youth and parts of Joe's motorbike The new carries the promise of the release from boredom the permanence of possibility viewpoints of stone and speak as well as the hills in winter cold purity granite lettuce lattice let us letters a prayer shawl made of words wicked working words the sword of tonguedom did wind it through my teeth Stretch and pull but don't snap it or it shall recoil and trim your lip Oh well that's life they words words words Don't say say "Dido, inflate the bread. Inflate the bread!" Dick blurted the serious words that mumbled a festive passion where we spirl our dreams with razor lines drawn through deprivation drawn down the damp reeking alleyway nights staggering the hideous Let Venus thrive and Mars beware yong mella wooga della doo long live the caterpillar regime! 

            I caught the streetcar home.

No comments:

Post a Comment