Saturday 30 September 2023

Merlin Olsen


            On Friday morning I memorized the fifth verse of "C'était une pauv' gosse des rues" (She Was a Poor Child of the Street) by Boris Vian. 
            I finished memorizing "Lost Song" by Serge Gainsbourg and searched for the chords. I found one set at Boite a chanson and transcribed those. I found another set at Ultimate Guitar and transcribed about half. I'll finish that on Saturday and continue searching. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the last day of four. On the weekend I'll play my Kramer electric. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            I went to sand some more of the board that I'd I glued down to fill the depression in the kitchen floor. When I left it last time there was a section of one side that was sticking up above the level of the floor but when I got to it today it was flush. It shifts I guess according to temperature or humidity or both. It was still a little high in the middle so I sanded that. I think it's done and so now I need to look for some tiles. All I want is solid black and solid white vinyl tiles to glue down in checkerboard fashion. I looked it up and there are stores far away that show them in their catalogues but the local places don't have them at least on digital display. I'll check out the tile place up at Dundas and Sorauren next week to see if they have them. If not I'll try Home Depot. 
            I made a folder for the songs I've chorded from the poems I wrote for my first chapbook Vomit of the Star Eater. I decided that the next song I'll start practicing in the morning is "Vomit of the Star Eater", unless it's already online and I've forgotten that I uploaded it. I'll check YouTube to see. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I chiseled some more black quartz from pieces of the rock that I found six years ago. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:49. 
            I compared the videos of my August 14 and August 29 performances of "Megaphor" again and decided that I like August 14 better. I compared August 30 to August 14 and I still prefer August 14. I compared September 2 to August 14 and September 2 is pretty good with some heavy distortion but I continue to favour August 14. I compared September 3 to August 14 and September might have won if not for one chord being slightly off. I compared September 4 to August 14 and it doesn't quite have the magic of August 14. I compared September 5 to August 14 and I definitely look friendlier on August 14, so it stays in front. There are four more sessions to review before I decide and I should have that done on Saturday. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song "Megaphor" I finished editing the clips from the silent film Spies by Fritz Lang. I inserted them into the main video to correspond with my line "of the enemy's secret but the spies in my brain plant mines in the answers just to drive me insane". I had to cut out most of the last two clips from the end of the movie which feature the clown, and which is really the best part of the film. The clown's performance is fantastic but most of his act doesn't fit my lyric and so I just kept the part when he pulls out his gun and shoots himself in the head and I timed it at the exact moment when I sing the word "insane". I started deleting the parts of the concert video in which I sing that line as I couldn't synchronize it with the studio audio. Next I need to try to synchronize the concert video with the studio audio for the line, "But right under their noses an invisible thread spirals endlessly inward to god in my head". I'll work on that on Saturday. 
            I finished scanning the last of my black and white negatives, which were all single street shots from the spring of 1988. I then scanned most of a set of colour negatives of my Paranoiac Utopia collage, the shots of Parkdale from my window that I used for it, plus the many extra shots that I didn't use. I should have that set finished on Saturday. 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last Porkchop while watching season 7, episodes 16 and 17 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story, Salma Plout, in her efforts to marry off her daughter Henrietta, has set up a helicopter pilot named Ronald Coleman in the crop dusting business in the valley. She is financing his operation but this puts him in direct competition with Steve and his plane. Steve is okay with it but Joe is outraged and is trying to plot against it. Perhaps to rub her triumph in, Salma has arranged for Ronald to become a tenant at the Shady Rest. Billie Joe and Bobbie Joe decide to use their considerable charms to sway Ronald away from Henrietta. Dr. Janet Craig does not approve of their manipulations and reminds them that Henrietta is the one who would be hurt by this. The girls decide she's right and so they tell Ronald that they can't see him anymore because they've just gotten engaged through computer dating. Ronald tells them he doesn't really find Henrietta very attractive. Salma brings Henrietta to the Shady Rest looking for Ronald. The girls tell her he's out but she doesn't believe them. While Salma is searching the hotel for Ronald, Billie and Bobbie take Henrietta upstairs and give her a makeover. When Ronald arrives he is blown away by how beautiful Henrietta is and wants to ask her to marry him but she says no. Now that she knows she is attractive she wants to play the field because she's never had the chance before. Ronald leaves the valley. 
            In the second story Betty Joe and Steve are in Pixley when they see Orrin in a jewellery store looking at engagement rings. The only logical reason for him to be doing this is that he is planning to propose to Bobbie Joe and so they are excited. They tell everyone but Bobbie that Orrin is about to pop the question. The only one who doesn't want the union to take place is Joe, who hates Orrin and will do anything to stop him from joining his family. Meanwhile a giant of a backwoods farmer named Merlin comes into Hooterville and announces that he has come to pick a wife. When Joe hears about it he thinks it's a perfect opportunity to put a wedge between Bobbie and Orrin and so he invites him out to the Shady Rest. The first woman Merlin sees is Janet and he looks her over like he's shopping for a plough horse. She says she has to deliver a baby and he thinks that means she's spoken for. Then he sees Billie and tries the same thing. When she learns he wants to marry her she says no. He's surprised but not discouraged because he is sure he's a catch. Then Orrin announces he's just gotten a pay raise and invites everyone to celebrate with him. They all think that's a sign he's going to propose to Bobbie because he'd mentioned before that he needed a pay raise before he could think about getting married. That night they have a get together and sing a couple of marriage themed songs to get Orrin in the mood. Then they suggest to Orrin that he sit with Bobbie on the porch swing. They are sure he is going to propose while they are there but then Merlin arrives with a woman named Lydia who has said yes to his proposal and Orrin gives him the ring that Merlin had arranged for him to buy for him. Bobbie is not disappointed and is glad to be with such a nice guy. 
            Merlin was played by Merlin Olsen, who earned a Bachelors degree in finance in 1962 and a Masters degree in Economics in 1970. He played defensive tackle for the Los Angeles Rams from 1962 until 1976. He starred in the short lived sitcom Fathers and Sons. He played Jonathan Garvey for four seasons of Little House on the Prairie. He starred for two seasons in the drama series Father Murphy.



No comments:

Post a Comment