Friday 15 September 2023

Joanna Lee


            On Thursday morning I wasn't able to fully memorize the second verse of "Une chose entre autres" (One Thing Among Others) by Serge Gainsbourg. To be fair the verses are longer than usual but I should have it nailed down on Friday. The third verse repeats part of the first, so that should be pretty easy. 
            I audio and video recorded song practice while playing my Kramer electric guitar after four days of playing my Martin acoustic. "Megaphor" might have come through okay and my ending for "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" wasn't bad. I made it to a second take of "Comme un boomerang" before the camera timed out. There is only one day left in this year's recording project and then I can relax and just practice all the songs every day until next June. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before breakfast.
            I sanded some more of the second piece of plywood I glued down to fill the gap in the kitchen floor in front of the counter. It's still a little higher than the floor in places. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought five bags of grapes, a pack of strawberries, a pack of blackberries, bananas, two packs of five-year-old cheddar, three bags of skim milk, a jug of limeade, a carton of spoon sized shredded wheat, a jar of salsa, a box of Triscuits, Full City Dark coffee, and a bag of Miss Vickie's chips. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:16. 
            I reviewed this morning's song practice video. I didn't hear any major mistakes in the final takes of "Megaphor", "Sixteen Tons of Dogma", or most of the French songs I got through. Friday night will be the last of this year's general reviews. On Saturday I'll start reviewing all of the takes I did of "Megaphor" since early August. 
            I finished watching the silent film "Spies" by Fritz Lang. On Friday I'll download it and convert it to WMV before editing it in Movie Maker to harvest clips for my Megaphor video project. 
            I scanned some more single black and white negatives of the set consisting entirely of street shots. There are five left in that set. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 6, episodes 12 and 13 of Petticoat Junction. In the first story Homer Bedloe returns to try again to shut down the Cannonball. This time his target is Wendell the new engineer. who runs the train in a lax manner just like the previous crew. He finds plenty of evidence but the home office needs a signed statement from one of the locals. He figures he can get Dr. Craig to sign it and goes to her under the pretense of getting a checkup. She finds his blood pressure to be high and he forgets about the statement as he rushes off to fill a prescription. Janet learns that Bedloe's birthday is coming up and convinces the Bradley family to throw him a party. The story presents them as having never tried kindness before but they've done that several times. Meanwhile Granny of the Beverly Hillbillies has baked Betty Joe and Steve a cake. She made it from a recipe for rum cake but didn't want to use "demon rum" and so she substituted a generous dose of her moonshine. At the party Bedloe eats the cake and gets drunk. He loses his bitterness and tears up all his negative notes on the Cannonball. The next day he uncharacteristically decides to continue to be nice and not shut down the Cannonball. 
            In the second story Bobbie Joe has been reading a book called The Feminine Mistake and has decided to find out who she is. She gets a job as a hairdresser but her first client is Salma Plout, and she ruins her hair. Next she tries to demonstrate products in a department store but fails at that as well. She gets a job as a reporter for Sam Drucker's newspaper and interviews Janet Craig but twists her words and makes her seem to feel superior to her Hooterville Valley clients. As a result Janet loses much of her clientele and Bobbie feels so bad that she tries to leave. Janet catches her and by pretending to be the person that Bobbie wrote about she convinces her not to go away. 
            This story was co-written by Joanna Lee, who co-starred in The Brain Eaters and as Tanna the space girl in Plan 9 from Outer Space. She wrote some scripts for sitcoms like Gilligan's Island, Gidget, My Three Sons, Room 222, and The Flintstones. For the latter she created the character of The Great Gazoo. She won an Emmy for writing a Thanksgiving episode of The Waltons and a Golden Globe for producing the TV documentary Babe. She also wrote greeting cards and an autobiography entitled A Difficult Woman in Hollywood.











No comments:

Post a Comment