Tuesday 19 September 2023

Ray Kellogg


            On Monday morning I blog-published "In the Good Old Days", which is my translation of "Au bon vieux temps" by Boris Vian on my Christian's Translations blog. I still have to post it on my Boris Vian Facebook page. 
            I worked out the chords for the intro and most of the first verse of "Une chose entre autres" (One Thing Among Others) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first of four days. I had to tune it twice. I had some tension in my chest from when I got up but it diminished while I was singing. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I did my laundry and was done just before lunch. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I headed out for a bike ride but got caught in a downpour just north of College and so I turned and hurried home. Even in that short distance I got soaked. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos at 16:20, which is the heaviest I've been in the evening in twelve days. 
            The rain stopped just before 16:30 and so I considered restarting my bike ride but by the time I'd gotten ready it would have been too late to get home in time to get my regular routine done. At 17:00 I would have gone out on the deck to chisel free some black quartz from a piece of the rock I found six years ago, but it had started raining again. A little later it stopped but I said fuck it. Once spitten twice shy. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:23. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of "Megaphor" from August 15 to 17. On August 15 and 16 I played the acoustic. On August 15 the take at 5:30 was okay but not as good as August 11. On August 16 the take at 17:30 was pretty good but one chord didn't quite make it. On August 17 I played the electric and the take at 2:00 was okay but not as good as August 14. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for my song "Megaphor" I cut about ten minutes more from the copy of the silent film Spies by Fritz Lang and kept a small clip to possibly use in the main video. 
            I scanned about fifty black and white negatives of mostly street shots but some pictures of my ex-girlfriend Brenda. I started on the penultimate sleeve sheet and there are about fifty negatives left. I'll probably have them finished on Wednesday and then I'll start on developing all my slides. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 6, episodes 20 and 21 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Sam gets a notice that his postal sub station is going to be shut down. Joe gets each person in the valley to mail something to themselves to prove that Sam's post office is busy. He then takes a picture of all the mail that Sam received. He decides to take the picture to Washington to deliver it to his congressman. The sisters and Janet Craig all come along. But the congressman is always too busy to see him. They go to see the Lincoln Memorial and Joe recites the entire Gettysburg Address, impressing several tourists. They are walking past the fence of the White House when Joe sees a dog with its head caught between the posts of a wrought iron fence and he stops to free it. The White House guard approaches Joe and tells him the boss saw him free his dog and he wants to personally say thank you. We only see the arm of the president as he reaches out to shake Joe's hand. Later Joe relates to Sam how the president said to call him "Dick". He tells Sam that he asked the president to put in a word to keep Sam's post office open. Sam says it was all a mistake and the notice he'd received was meant for the post office in Hunterville instead of Hooterville. 
            The White House guard was played by Ray Kellogg, who was a singer for Skip Henderson and Les Brown. That's how he met his wife Eileen Wilson who became a singer for Your Hit Parade. His first acting role was as a singer in Behind the Eight Ball. He played Deputy Ollie on The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp. 


            In the second story Betty Joe and Steve's baby has a rash. In trying to discern the cause they realize that Kathy Joe's rash went away while Steve was on a two week trip and returned when he came back. Dr. Craig recommends that Steve move out to see if the baby really is allergic to him. Steve checks in to the Shady Rest but the party line has circulated a rumour that Betty and Steve have broken up. Since they can't see each other at home, Betty leaves the baby with Bobbie Joe and goes to where Steve is working on the plane. When she leaves he puts his jacket on her so she won't be cold during the walk home. Later Kathy gets the rash again and Janet deduces that the rash is caused by insecticide traces on Steve's jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment