Friday, 11 September 2026

Amy Poehler


            On Thursday after midnight I lint rolled the top of my bed and no bedbugs got picked up. I laid down more carpet tape along the edges of my mattress. I went to bed at around 1:30 and don’t remember lying awake for very long but when I got up at 5:00 it felt like I hadn’t gotten enough sleep. I was groggy through yoga. When I checked for bedbugs there were quite a few stuck to the tape and only a couple wandering free. 
            I searched for the next Boris Vian song on my list for which I could find audio or even just text. The next on the list was “Une quarante chevaux De Dion-Bouton” (A 40 Horsepower De Dion-Bouton). De Dion-Bouton was the first automobile manufacturer to mass produce a successful V-8 engine in 1910. The song is another one from the musical that Vian wrote about Jules Bonnot the Anarchist Robin Hood. A De Dion-Bouton is one of the cars he stole and used for his criminal operations. But unfortunately there is no text or audio of this song available online. 
            The next song is “Venez donc voir” (Literally “Come Then See” but more like an equivalent to the English phrase, “Step Right Up”. There is audio and text for this song though the lyrics are shouted and not sung while music plays in the background. I think the song could be sung to the music though and so that’s how I’ll learn it.
            I worked out the chords for the instrumental intro and half of the first line of “Les filles c'est un flipper” (Girls Are a Pinball Game) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 91.55 kilos before breakfast. 
            I played my Martin for the last of four sessions and it went out of tune all the time. 
            I weighed 92.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and stopped at Freshco on the way back where I bought five bags of green grapes, some bananas, a pack of Full City Dark coffee, and some shaving gel. I did a price match on the grapes with the Food Basics price of $3.26 a kilo. 
            I weighed 91.5 kilos at 18:35, which is the lightest I’ve been in the evening in a week. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a chicken leg while watching a video tribute to Harvey Korman and a short video of zany outtakes from The Carol Burnett Show
            Amy Poehler says what she loved most about The Carol Burnett Show was the ensemble. Carol let everybody be just as funny as she was. 
            Bernadette Peters says comedy has to be open, trusting, giving, and encouraging, and that’s how Carol wanted her show to be. 
            Lyle Waggoner says Carol was there for the good of the show and not for Carol Burnett. 
            Betty White says Harvey had intelligence on top of talent. 
            I say Tim Conway was really master of the comedic pause. 
            Lyle says that Harvey was always dissatisfied so Lyle and Vickie started writing him anonymous fan letters to tell him how great he was and he enjoyed them. Carol says Harvey was very moody. One time when Petula Clark and Tim were guests on the show Harvey was rude to them both. Carol didn’t mind him being nasty with the regulars because they were used to it but she drew the line at making the guests uncomfortable. She asked him to stay after the show. He was great on that show while Carol was a nervous wreck. Carol confronted him in her Joan Crawford boss lady persona and gave him an ultimatum. He argued that he had a contract but Carol said she would find a way to break the contract if he didn’t shape up. She told him that whenever she saw him in the hall she wanted to hear him whistling happily. The next Monday she saw him come out of the elevator whistling and skipping down the hall.
            Vicki says Harvey taught her most everything she came to know about comedy. Once she developed her high voiced bimbo character she asked him why when she does it she becomes stupid for the whole week. He told her that any character she does well will become a part of her. She says Harvey was so good in drag. 
            Harvey was a wreck the day Laurence Olivier came to the taping. 
            Carl Reiner says he heard Harvey played Hamlet once and was brilliant and he’s sure he was.
            Jane Lynch says when Harvey died Carol was destroyed. 
            The zany outtakes video was just some slightly funny mistakes and recoveries from mistakes.
            Amy Poehler joined the sketch comedy group My Mother’s Fleabag when she was attending Boston College. After earning her Bachelor’s degree in Media and Communications she went to Chicago where she studied at Second City and Improv Olympics. She joined the Upright Citizen’s Brigade, which later moved to New York to become a Comedy Central show for three seasons but the group stayed together and turned The Upright Citizen’s Brigade Theatre into a prominent sketch comedy venue. A second theatre was founded in LA and they teach 8000 students a year. She joined Saturday Night Live as a featured player in 2001 and was promoted to a full cast member that same season. The only other SNL alumnus to rise that quickly in the ranks was Eddie Murphy. When Jimmy Fallon left the show in 2004 she joined Tina Fey on Weekend Update. She co-wrote a sketch with Seth Meyers featuring Tina Fey and herself as Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton that became the biggest viral video of the year. She co-starred in Mean Girls, Blades of Glory, Mr. Woodcock, Hamlet 2, Baby Mama, Horton Hears a Who, A.C.O.D., They Came Together, The House, Hoodwinked Too, and Free Birds. She starred in Spring Breakdown, Sisters, Inside Out, and Inside Out 2. She starred in the sitcom Parks and Recreation from 2009 to 2015. She co-wrote, made her directorial debut, and co-starred in Wine Country. She directed and co-produced Moxie, and Lucy and Desi. She co-hosted and co-produced the reality competition series Making It. She co-created, co-produced and starred in Duncanville. She co-created and co-starred in The Mighty B. She co-hosted the Golden Globe Awards with Tina Fey in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2021. She co-produced Welcome to Sweden, Broad City, Difficult People, Three Busy Debras, and Russian Doll. She wrote the book Yes Please in 2014. She hosts the podcast Good Hang (which won the first Golden Globe Award for a podcast). She co-founded the girl empowerment group Smart Girls at the Party. She says, “When your children arrive your heart becomes a room with wide open windows”.




No comments:

Post a Comment