Saturday, 26 September 2026

Michele Lee


            On Tuesday after midnight I lint rolled the curtains between my bedroom and living room and caught some bedbugs but far fewer than the night before. I did the same to the top of my bed and none turned up. I went to bed at around 2:05. It’s too cold to sleep naked with just a sheet now so I used my comforter (which I’ve been avoiding because it’s harder to keep bedbugs out of it). I woke up around 3:00 to pee and again at 4:30, then again with the 5:00 alarm. When I checked for bedbugs dead or alive after yoga I didn’t find any. 
            I started translating “Les bienfaits de la pratique” (The Benefits of Practice) by Boris Vian. 
            I finished translating “La fille aux claquettes” (The Tap Dancing Girl) by Serge Gainsbourg. I searched for the chords but no one has posted them. AI suggested some that work but it thinks the song is in the key of C while I’m hearing F. 
            I weighed 90.95 kilos before breakfast. 
            I played my Kramer during song practice and it stayed in tune most of the time. 
            I rode up to Yonge and St Clair to get a haircut at Top Cuts. My stylist Amy was just finishing up with a big guy whose head and face she’d just shaved. Apparently he’d been very difficult before I arrived and had screamed at Amy to demand that she clip his nose hairs. He’d insisted on a soap and razor shave, which they don’t have facilities for because it’s not a barber shop. From what I could gather another customer with a Scottish accent had given him money for his cut but now she regretted it. He wanted more done but they said he was finished. He only had thirty dollars though the bill was about $45. I could tell by the way he moved that he was developmentally challenged. After he left, the other customer paid the difference on his bill. One of the hairdressers said she could have done him damage if there hadn’t been witnesses. I assume she means she knows martial arts. 
            I asked Amy to cut the sides shorter than before and to keep the front long. But when she was done the side still wasn’t as short as I wanted it. I didn't push it because she'd had a hard day. 
            I had been scheduled to meet with Brian Haddon for lunch at The Crown and Dragon after my haircut but on Sunday he canceled because he was worried about getting bedbugs. I had assured him I would take precautions and that the chances were low but he doesn’t want to get together until my place is bedbug free. That pissed me off because it could take years and it hurt that he didn’t trust me to be careful. 
            I weighed 91.1 kilos before lunch at 15:40. 
            I took a siesta and got up at around 18:00. 
            I weighed 91.5 kilos at 18:15. 
            I was a couple of days behind in my journal and worked on getting caught up. 
            I had oven fries, pork ribs and a glass of Creemore lager while watching The Carol Burnett Show 25th Anniversary Special. 
            Carol comes out and does a song about her first opening for the show 25 years ago, how she felt and what she did and makes fun of how awkward she was. 
            There’s a clip of Carol with Ronald Reagan when he was governor of California taking questions and someone asks if he’d like to live in Washington, D. C. Reagan says he can’t understand anyone wanting to live anywhere but in California. 
            A guy named Cary who as a teenager asked if he could come up and give Carol a kiss is now in the audience 15 years later and asks if he can come up again. They show the clip of how nervous he was and Carol saying she’d be gentle. After she kissed him back then he said he was going to faint. 
            Carol brings out Harvey Korman. 
            She shows a clip of Tim Conway as a soldier trying load a cannon but drops the ball down his pants. He can’t get it out so he just puts his crotch where the ball is against the cannon and signals to fire. Carol brings out Tim then she brings out Vicki Lawrence. Tim says of Vicki, “Out of all of us, who would imagine that she’d be the only one that’s still working!” Harvey says, “I was sucking up to the wrong person all those years!” 
            Carol shows a clip of Lyle Waggoner as the Marlboro man looking cool as he lights up and then having a coughing fit. 
            They show several clips of cast members getting hit over the years. 
            They show some clips of movie spoofs I never saw such as From Here to Maternity in which Steve Lawrence and Carol are on a beach making out when a big wave hits them. Pillow Squawk is a parody of Pillow Talk with Carol parodying Doris Day.
            Carol, Harvey, Vicki, Lyle, and Tim sit on chairs on stage and take questions from the audience.
            They show a clip from the butcher shop sketch in which Tim accidentally pulls Harvey’s pants down and he’s wearing briefs, having forgotten to wear boxers. He was particularly embarrassed because his idol Sir Laurence Olivier was in the audience. 
            Carol shows the clip of the horse that relieved itself behind her when she was singing. Tim says he was also peeing during that song. 
            Carol says Vicki’s daughter Courtney is at Stanford now. 
            Carol points out her three daughters in the audience. They try to get Tim’s kids to stand up and they show them sitting but a black guy stands for fun. 
            There are clips of Carol singing with Ethel Merman, Liza Minelli, Perry Como, Rita Hayworth, The Pointer Sisters (singing “Salt Peanuts” while dressed like one of the sisters), and The Carpenters.
            Carol shows how Vicki transforms into Mama with no makeup. Just the wig, the glasses, the padded dress, and the frown. 
            There’s a clip of Harvey singing in Spanish drag with very large breasts and castanets. 
            Carol has the chorus from her show take a bow and then the dancers. She gets Bob Mackie to stand up, calls him a genius, and wonders why he doesn’t get any older. She gets the choreographer Ernie Flatt and the assistant choreographer George Foster to stand up. 
            Carol comes out as the Charwoman again and sings her goodbye theme song while a few more clips of guest stars roll, such as Wayne Rogers, Dom DeLuise, Jack Palance, Penny Marshall, Sally Field, and Michelle Lee. 
           Then Carol slips into some high heels, strips off the charwoman’s rags and has an elegant sparkly gold suit on. She sings a different goodbye song. Then Vicki comes out and it’s a duet. Then Harvey sings the song with her. Then Lyle, then Tim, who talk-sings and then jokingly sings in a dramatic way. Then they all hold hands and sing it together. They go into the audience and shake hands with people while still singing. They return to the stage and Carol says goodnight to them. They each go through a different doorway, except Carol stays behind and starts singing the song alone again. But the others come back out to join her to her disappointment. She herds them all back through their doors while still singing. 
            Michelle Lee acted in plays in junior high school and in senior high she became the lead singer for the school band. In her very first audition she got the part. She made her TV debut in 1961 on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Before graduating she made her Broadway debut in Vintage 60. Soon after that she began doing guest performances on popular TV variety shows such as The Danny Kaye Show. She made her film debut in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying in 1967 after having co-starred in the play on Broadway. She co-starred in The Comic and The Love Bug. 
            She had a minor hit with the song “L. David Sloane”, which reached #52 in 1969. 



She was nominated for Tony Awards in 1974 and 2001 for her performances in Seesaw and The Tale of The Allergist’s Wife. She starred in all 344 episodes of Knots Landing (for which she was nominated for an Emmy Award) and directed nine episodes, She was the first woman to co-write, produce, direct, and star in a TV movie: Colour Me Perfect in 1996. She wrote the bestselling autobiography My Father Was a Blackbelt.






No comments:

Post a Comment