Saturday 24 October 2015

An Old And Spooky Toronto Neighbourhood For Trick or Treating


           

            On Friday, I finished reading Sherman Alexie’s  “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian”. It’s a well-written, even sometimes poetically written, but very simply written story. It’s sometimes funny but mostly sad, though it does end hopefully. The most powerful part is the basketball game in which Arnold Spirit comes forward as the most valuable player for the team of the white high school he is attending but against the team of his reservation. He felt like both a traitor and a hero at the same time.
As I was getting ready to go teach my yoga class, I was looking for the fifteen dollars that I had left after buying coffee the night before, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I could only conclude that I’d been in such a rush that I’d been careless. I told myself that I must not have shoved my change very deeply into my pocket, and admittedly, the pants I’ve been wearing don’t have very deep pockets. I figured my phone, moving next to the money as I pedaled my bike might have caused the money to shimmy up the fabric and drop to the street.
            At PARC, I saw Shelly downstairs in the drop-in, and she said she’d be coming. In the healing centre at PARC, I was getting the room ready for yoga when Shelly’s friend Mario hobbled in. He sat down for a while in a chair, as I dragged furniture around to make more space. Finally though, he got up and left. Shelly came in a little after start time. She just wanted instruction on one particular exercise. The Sun Salutation has both standing and floor parts and she has trouble making a smooth transition between the two. So I divided the exercise in half and gave her a series to do while standing and another to do on the floor. That took about half an hour and she was satisfied with that, so I ended up leaving at the same time I would have left if no one had come.
            I went home briefly to take another stab at looking for my money. I usually take my money out of my pocket and put it on my dresser before I change into my home clothes, but I thought that maybe I hadn’t. Perhaps I’d put my pants in the kitchen as usual and the money had fallen among all the clutter of the bedroom and living room things that I keep out there while I’m waiting for the bedbugs to be gone. I couldn’t see it there. I thought that maybe it had fallen behind the dresser, but it hadn’t. I shrugged and resigned myself to having accidentally given fifteen dollars to a stranger, and just hoped whoever it had been had needed it.
            I rode along Bloor to Sherbourne and then started exploring the streets just north of there. As I crossed the bridge over the Rosedale Valley, the autumn colours were spectacular in the sunlight. I explored the streets between Sherbourne and Castle Frank, south of Elm Avenue. Holy cow, south Rosedale is a rich area! There are some very nicely designed modern homes, but there are mostly a lot of beautiful houses of many designs but they looked like they might be some of the oldest in Toronto. It seemed to me that this would have been the perfect neighbourhood to have taken my daughter trick or treating when she’d been young. Though ritzy, I could tell that these nice old buildings would be quite spooky after dark. The only thing that took their scariness away was the cheap Halloween decorations some of them had on display.
            When I got home, I was getting ready to change out of my away from home clothing, when I suddenly remembered that when I’d rushed out to buy coffee the night before, I hadn’t changed my clothes. I had put my money in the track pants that I wear around the apartment. Sure enough, the money was there in the right pocket.
            I watched Buster Keaton’s first feature film, “The Saphead”. Keaton hadn’t started directing at this point, but he was the main star. It was a comedy but not slapstick like a lot of his later work. He played, Bertie, the bumbling son of a Wall Street tycoon who was in love with his father’s adopted daughter and she with him. His natural sister’s husband was his father’s number one man in the company but it turned out that he was cheating on his wife with a dancer named Henrietta. The dancer became ill, but her dying wish was to expose her ex-lover by giving his wife her husband’s love letters. But in order to save his sister from a broken heart, Bertie claimed the letters were his own and threw them in the fire so no one would know. Bertie’s father disowned Bertie. Meanwhile the brother in law bilked Bertie’s father of all his securities by causing the shares to drop on a mine called Henrietta. Bertie had bought a seat on the stock exchange but knew nothing about it. All he knew was that everybody was shouting “Henrietta!” and he wanted them to stop. He was told that all he had to do was say, “I’ll take it!” to anyone who shouted the name and they would stop, so he bought all the stock and it went up in value till he’d saved his father from bankruptcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment