Sunday 11 October 2015

Good Conversation and Bad Coffee


           
 
            On Saturday I was in the middle of song practice when Nick Cushing called. He’d come into town from Hamilton the night before and meeting me had been one of the many birds he wanted to kill with the stone of his visit. He had invited me to go out for breakfast but I hadn’t expected him to call that early. He explained that he hadn’t gotten a good night’s sleep so he wanted to head home earlier than planned. I can’t remember the last time I went out for breakfast that early. We got in his car and drove over to Pete’s at Sorauren and Queen. I noticed the sign says “Parkdales Pete’s Restaurant”, so either there’s more than one Parkdale or they could only afford one apostrophe.
            This was actually the first time that Nick and I have sat down just the two of us at a table.  I had three poached eggs with bacon, homefries and brown toast. The food was okay and the conversation was pleasant but the coffee tasted like the condensation from a rusty air conditioner.
            The main reason for out meeting was to discuss some voice over work and ad-libbing Nick wanted me to do for an animation project that Nick is working on, and to give me a microphone so I could make audio files of my voice.
            I got home at around 9:30 and made myself a real coffee right away to get the taste of the Pete’s dishrag squeezings out of my mouth.
            I spent most of the rest of the day reading M. T. Anderson’s “The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Volume 1”. At almost 18:00 when I only had ten pages left, I decided I needed to take my bike ride. The sky was filled with the ribs, spines and other skeletal parts o the ghosts of whales. I rode through wood smoke and past a dead raccoon as well as over a squashed squirrel and I think a flattened pigeon. By the time I got to Yonge and St Clair it was almost dark, so it didn’t make sense to explore any unknown streets that I couldn’t see, so I just headed down to Queen by way of Yonge and hen went home.
            I finished the Octavian Nothing book upon my return. It’s an interesting and at many points, masterfully written story. Around 1760, a beautiful and pregnant African princess was captured and brought to New England where she was bought by an eccentric scientist. She and her son are in many ways treated like royalty, but they, especially the boy, are actually specimens being studied in an elaborate experiment to discern whether an African child has the same capacity for education, as would a child of European descent. Even the fine food he eats is weighed before he dines, as well as the waste he expels afterwards. The house in which he is raised is full of crazy scientists, one of whom is not sure if anything exists when he is not looking and so sometimes he will suddenly rush to his room and charge in to see if he can catch the matter of his chamber in a state of not being there.
            All of these goings on in the house are surrounded by the growing unrest leading up to the American Revolution. This society of strange scientists is financially supported from across the ocean by a lordly benefactor, who suddenly dies. His heir is a nephew who comes to visit in order to see if he should be investing his money in these experiments. He takes a liking to Octavian’s beautiful mother and she to him. He offers to take her and her son back to England where he would pay for Octavian’s education and set Cassiopeia up in an apartment to be his mistress. When she demands nothing short of marriage he tries to sexually assault her and she struggles with him. Octavian, who has been listening at the door, comes to his mother’s defence. It is at this point that they learn that they are not considered equals to the white occupants of the house. They are both severely whipped and then thrown naked into the icehouse.
            The society then comes under the control of another benefactor and though still considered specimens, Octavian and his mother begin to perform the functions of slaves.
            There is a smallpox epidemic in the colony and so the society organizes a pox party and to inject the guests with the disease in order to develop an immunity. Octavian’s mother however dies and so he escapes.
            He finds freedom as a member of a revolutionary militia until he is recaptured. He ultimately escapes again and his further adventures are in a second volume that we aren’t required to read.
            Though, as I said, it is in parts very well written, I’m reminded of Alice Munro’s observation that she’s never read a novel that couldn’t have been better as a short story. I don’t agree with her about all novels but I think her assessment is right on the money in the case of this book. It could have stood to lose at least a hundred pages.
            I watched the Buster Keaton short silent film, “The Goat”. “Goat”, in this case means, “scapegoat”. It begins with Keaton stepping to the back of a breadline, not realizing that the two people he is standing behind are actually mannequins in front of a men’s clothing store. By the time he realizes his mistake there is no bread left. He then looks through a window where a murderer named “Deadshot Dan” is getting his mug shot taken. Dan tricks the photographer into taking Buster’s picture and then escapes. Wanted posters are put up all over town with Keaton’s picture on them and so most of the movie is a series of comical chases.

No comments:

Post a Comment