Tuesday 27 October 2015

Wheelchair Parking At The Dollarama


           

            On Monday I had to work at OCADU in the afternoon, so I tried to take an early siesta for an hour around noon so I wouldn’t doze off while I was working. I don’t think I really slept, but the rest probably helped. I left for work about twenty minutes earlier than I normally would because I wanted to drop by the Faculty of Information library on St George to take out James Marshall’s “George and Martha”. I had already found a Korean download the night before, in English, of Arnold Lobel’s “Frog and Toad are Friends”. I worked from 15:10 to 18:10 for Keiran Brent’s drawing class in the design department. He says “kinda like” a lot when he is talking about what something exactly is. I read “George and Martha” before class started. Those hippos are dumb and rich. The rest of the time I read the first few chapters of George Macdonald’s “The Princess and the Goblin”, from an e-book I downloaded from Project Gutenberg. It seems that “princess” is a metaphor for the ideal little girl.
            After work, the sun was just setting, so I decided to get in a short bike ride before going home.  I rode up McCaul to College, up St George to Bloor, then across to Yonge, down to College, west to Bay and down to Queen. I stopped at Freshco and saw a deal on Sponge Towels, but didn’t want to carry them around while shopping, so I got everything else first. After I’d bought my stuff at the express counter I remembered about the Sponge Towels, so I went back in.
            When I got home there were two more boxes of cans of cat food from my upstairs neighbour sitting in front of my door. On top of them was this horrible little book called “Cat Letters to Santa”. I don’t want the book but I know David won’t take it back. He’ll expect me to find a home for it.
            I watched Buster Keaton’s silent film, “Sherlock Jr.”, about an amateur detective who works in a cinema. His rival for his sweetheart is a thief, but Buster gets blamed. He falls asleep while projecting a movie and then he dreams he walks into the screen. He appears later as master detective, Sherlock Jr., who pursues and is pursued by a gang of jewel thieves. There are a number of chase scenes, but the most hair raising is one where Sherlock Jr. is riding on the handle bars of a motorbike driven by his assistant, Gilette. But Gilette falls off very early on and so Sherlock careens through several scenes of traffic and other obstacles without knowing there is no driver.
            Before bed, I looked out the window and saw that there was yellow tape across both ends of the Dollarama parking lot and that there is a new parking space closest to me with the blue and white wheelchair symbol freshly painted.  I assume they were required by law to put that in.

No comments:

Post a Comment