Tuesday 6 October 2015

Enough Cat Hair to Make a Cat


           

            On Monday I took advantage of the fact that I had a little extra money and did my laundry. It’s nearly impossible to dry anything on the deck this time of year anyway.
            I called my landlord to ask him to have the exterminator come next Monday, but he said next Monday was Thanksgiving, so I asked for Wednesday.
            Amarillo is shedding big chunks of brown hair all over the couch, so finally I vacuumed up enough for a whole other cat.
            I didn’t take a bike ride because it was cloudy and grey it would have been quite dark on the way home. Maybe I would have gone if I’d been cooped up all day, but having gone back and forth to the Laundromat three times, I felt like I’d been out.
            I watched the Roscoe Arbuckle film, “The Cook”. It starts off in a restaurant with the normal ridiculous antics of Arbuckle and Keaton, but then it gets bizarre as Roscoe leaves work and gets into a goat cart to join other rush hour traffic of nothing but goat carts moving throughout the city and being directed by traffic cops.
            I watched “Convict 13”, one of the first films to be directed and written by Buster Keaton. He begins by playing golf, but plays so badly that he follows the ball far off course to the outside of a prison, where he hits the ball against the wall but it bounces back and knocks him out. Meanwhile an escaping prisoner discovers him lying there and switches clothes with him. Keaton is then of course mistaken for prisoner 13, who is scheduled to hang that day. At the hanging, all the other prisoners are sitting and cheering on bleachers like at a baseball game, ordering hot dogs and drinks. The guards were not successful in hanging him because he bounced a lot like on the end of a bungee cord, so they put off the execution and put him to breaking rocks, which he started doing very delicately until the guard insisted that he swing the hammer, which of course knocked out the guard. Buster exchanged clothes with the guard and prevented a prison riot so he was promoted to assistant warden.

No comments:

Post a Comment