Wednesday 21 October 2015

"Indian" is taken and anyone born here is a native, so Aboriginal Canadians is probably closer


           
           
            As soon as I was done with my yoga on Tuesday morning, I sat down for the last available three hours of working on my essay before I had to submit it in class. Most of that time was spent in working out the Modern Language Association requirements for formatting my in-text citations. With half an hour left, I read it through again, and made a few quick changes. I settled on the title, “The Sad Freedom of Peter Pan”. Here was my thesis: “For children to grow up in a balanced manner requires that they have responsible adult role models, that they be raised in a loving environment and that they be allowed the freedom to develop as individuals. Without all three, children can either stumble into becoming damaged adults or remain in a state of immaturity.”
            I printed up the essay twice because the first time I hadn’t put my name on every page. I also had to submit a second copy electronically before I left for class, fifteen minutes later than usual. I rushed through Little Italy, but still was able to enjoy the perfume of the wood burning pizza ovens being fired up for the day. I was five minutes early for class, but a lot of people were late because of their essays. I handed mine in, fairly satisfied with my argument, but I could have used an extra day to refine the writing. The guy behind me said he could have used another day as well, because he’d wasted five hours on Monday watching the election results.
            In the first half of class we finished our discussion of M. T. Anderson’s “The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing”. The deliberate holes in the narrative correspond to the blank spaces in the story of the American Revolution. The book is a Bildungsroman, a novel dealing with one person's formative years or spiritual education.
            I commented on a powerful play on words in an exchange between Octavian and his fellow slave and mentor, Bono. Octavian argues that “a man is known by his deeds!” but Bono says, “Yeah, and so is a house!”
            In the second half of the lecture we began to talk about Sherman Alexie’s, “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian”.
            There was a discussion about the use of the term “Indian” by aboriginal peoples of the American continents to refer to themselves rather than “Native”. I said that most of the aboriginal people I’ve known, including girlfriends have referred to themselves as “Indian”. It turns out that my TA, Christina, is a student of Native Studies. She said she always says “Native” and that Native people have the right to call themselves Indian but we don’t have the right to refer to them in that way. It sounds a bit like white liberal pretentiousness to me. Technically, anyone born in America is a “native American”.
            Reservations are equated with death camps.
            The book also features cartoons, one of which is a split figure of someone on the left side as being white and on the right side, “Indian”. Various aspects of differences of accoutrement are displayed on either side, such as “the latest air Jordans” on the white side and canvas sneakers from aisle 7 at the Safeway Supermarket on the Indian side. I commented that my Cree ex-girlfriend had told me that Safeway is owned by the Catholic Church. Later though, I looked this up and found that it’s an urban myth. Safeway is actually now owned by Sobeys and was never owned by the Catholic Church.
            In the cartoon, the white person has an expensive watch but on the Indian side is the expression, “It’s skin thirty!” I’d always remembered, “It’s a hair past a freckle!” Here, a joke is used to ease the discomfort of poverty. On the Indian side, the discount prices of items are listed, whereas on the white side there are no prices.
            On the white side is the statement, “bright future” but on the Indian side, “vanishing past”. I wonder about the idea of a vanishing past being unique to aboriginal peoples. In fact, it seems to me that aboriginal peoples have a firmer grip on their past than most European descendants here in Canada. I, for example, know very little and care very little about my Scandinavian heritage.
            There is a line from the book: “Poverty doesn’t give you strength or lessons. It just teaches you how to be poor.”
            After class I rode up to Soudan and Mount Pleasant and then across to Bayview. As I turned the corner I saw a children’s clothing store called “Never Grow Up”, which was an interesting coincidence, considering the essay I’d just turned in. That whole area, south of Eglinton, on both Bayview and Mount Pleasant, is full of children’s clothing stores, children’s book stores and toy stores.
            That night I watched Buster Keaton’s “The Balloonatic”, but it wasn’t as good as one would expect from the title.
            I read about a fifth of Sherman Alexie’s, “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian”. It’s both funny and sad at the same time and the story is engaging. It’s written in simple language and it’s from the point of view of an adolescent aboriginal American growing up on a very poor reservation in Washington State. His white math teacher comes to see him one day and tells him that he’s the only one on the reservation with any hope of surviving but he has to leave in order to do so. He immediately tells his parents that he wants to transfer to the nearby white school. They ask him if he’s sure, but when he says he is, they say “okay” like they’ve been waiting his whole life for him to ask for this. I left off with him about to leave. He tells his best friend that he’s leaving and right away his friend becomes his worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment