Thursday 1 October 2015

Why Don't You Just Get A Job?


           

            For the last few months my friend Ivy and I have been trying to get together for a beer. I had some money to afford a drink a couple of months ago, but she bailed on me at the last minute, She got back in touch recently about getting together again, but I told her I’d be broke until November. On Friday she sent me an email asking me why I don’t get a job. I found that somewhat insulting and responded with, “Wow! I think you’ve just found the solution to the poverty problem in Canada! I wonder why no one’s ever thought of that before!” That set off a bit of an argument in which she told me that since I’m an adult white male with no disabilities there’s no reason why I can’t find some extra work. Ivy is young enough to be my daughter and when I was her age I had plenty of work. If she has to find something new when she’s sixty, she might have more of a problem. We finally agreed to maybe go for coffee but I feel bitter about meeting her now.
When I went to PARC on Friday, the piano was playing and Shelly was singing, so I didn’t talk to her or make an announcement about my class. No one came, and so I left at 15:00. After going home for half an hour I rode up to Moore and Mt Pleasant and then headed east. I dipped down onto a bike trail that although it looked level I guess the there is a subtle decline because I was tearing along over the uneven ground without having to pedal. I thought it was going to be a short trip, but it kept on going and going until I realized I was on the Don Valley Bike Trail. I expected to end up south of Bloor, but it veered west and after a while I realized I was on a different trail. I came out at Mt Pleasant again, crossed over and then wound up travelling north and then west for quite a while. As I was climbing out of a valley, it got so steep that I had to walk. I emerged on Rose Hill, which is just two blocks south of St Clair, so after all that riding I pretty much just went around in a circle.
I finished watching the second season of Bonanza. There were a few episodes in the middle that were interesting, but I won’t be downloading season three. I think there’s only one more year with Pernell Roberts in it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment