Saturday 8 July 2017

Brainbow of Gender



            On Thursday, since I was all caught up on my journal I was able to spend a bit of time on my book cover.
            I confirmed a Facebook friendship with a distant cousin in Sweden with whom I’d communicated electronically a few years ago but lost touch. Since I always try to keep my Facebook friends at a round 100 I unfriended the last of my friends that I’ve either never met or am not related to. It was someone I think in Mexico or somewhere else in Latin America. She’d sent me a friend request a few years ago because she knew that I was the administrator of the Meg Tilly fan page on Facebook. We haven’t communicated since then so there didn’t seem to be much point of being friends.
            Nick Cushing messaged me that he would be coming by around 15:00 or 16:00. I took a siesta at 15:00 and got up a little before 16:30 but Nick hadn’t arrived yet. I was just getting ready for my bike ride when he shouted up at my window. I went down to let him in but he said he wanted to go get some beer first. When he came back we sat with a couple of cans at the kitchen table. He’d brought with him a Nikon digital camera in exchange for the drift cam he’d given me because he thought it would serve me better as a video camera for recording me playing my songs.
            Our conversation covered various topics, but after he’d gotten into his second can of beer, Nick started arguing with me that when people identify as being of a different gender than the gender represented by their genitalia at birth, it’s all in their minds. I reminded him that sometimes people are born with genitalia that is a mixture of male and female and he admitted that was true. I argued further then that since the brain is also a physical organ, some brains could be physically wired at birth towards someone having a different understanding of their own gender than is obvious from their genitalia. If the body can be born different then why can’t the brain? 

No comments:

Post a Comment