Wednesday 19 July 2017

Breaking Guitar Strings



            On Tuesday morning I broke my E string again, just a day after breaking the B. I’m starting to think there might be something sharp on the bridge that’s cutting them. If I break an E or B on Wednesday morning I won’t have a replacement.
            I moved several video files to my external hard drive and freed up twenty gigs on my computer.
            In the heat of the late afternoon I took my bike ride but instead of going through the hell again of taking the bike unfriendly Don Mills Road from O’Connor I took Pape across the river to Millwood, turned right on Overlea and took that across to Don Mills Rd. It was so much easier and less nerve wracking that way. I went north then turned right on St Dennis, which I followed to where it ends at Eglinton. Instead of going back the way I came though, I decided to continue east on Eglinton because there were a couple of streets that I hadn’t explored that run off of Bermondsey. The first one was Mobile, at the end of which is an $11,000 a year per student prep school and the second was Old Eglinton Avenue, at the end of which at least ten garbage trucks were parked. My next ride should get me finished with the Don Mills and Eglinton area and then I can spend some time covering all the streets between O’Connor and Victoria Park, up to Eglinton. After that I can get back to the Danforth east of Woodbine.
            On the way home I stopped at Freshco where I bought bananas and yogourt. I held onto a few dollars just in case I would need to buy more guitar strings.
            I watched the first episode of the second season of Maverick. It wasn’t a bad story. A thief who stole $40,000 sets up Bret Maverick to take the fall. He’s tried and sentenced to hang but he still keeps insisting that he doesn’t know where the money is because he’s innocent. On the morning of Maverick’s execution though the greedy sheriff proposes to fake his hanging if he’ll lead him to the money. Seeing this as a way out, Maverick lies that he does know where the money is and agrees to the sheriff’s plan. After they are well out of town the sheriff lets Maverick out of the coffin, but he easily steals the sheriff’s horse and escapes.
            A few days later a woman claiming to be Bret Maverick’s widow shows up in town and wants to see her late husband’s grave. After visiting it she leaves on the next stagecoach.
            Hours later Bret Maverick, wearing a moustache, arrives in town claiming to be Bret Maverick’s brother, investigating the validity of the testimonies of the three men who had claimed that they’d seen Bret commit the crime. But when Maverick hears that his “sister in law” had just been there, he finds out which stage she left on and rides after it. He intercepts the stage and gets on as a passenger, eventually seducing his own “widow” whom he’s never seen. She decides to run off with him but Maverick says that she should make a clean break from her husband. She insists that she wouldn’t be able to face him but Maverick tells her he will come to meet him with her. When they arrive at her home though she pulls a gun because she’s been secretly sure all along that Maverick was a lawman and so they’ve both been leading each other on: Maverick to find the guy that framed him and her to bring the cop to her husband. When her husband comes out and sees him he draws his gun and shouts that she’s brought the man that was supposed to hang. A gunfight ensues between the two men and the wife could easily shoot Maverick but can’t do it. Maverick kills the husband, and then takes the wife back to clear his name.

           

            

No comments:

Post a Comment