Tuesday 11 July 2017

Crows



            Late Sunday afternoon I started out for my bike ride but only made it a short distance up O’Hara before my right front brake pad was rubbing against the rim again. I dragged my bike back home and dug through my drawer to find a wrench that would fit the nut at the back of the brakes so I could loosen it, balance them and tighten it as much as possible. It took a 10 mm wrench and it seemed to fix the problem, but I decided that a number ten wrench would be a good thing to carry around on my rides along with the ratchet for my wheels and the Allen key for my handlebars.
            There was mostly a grey sky but it wasn’t dark and the temperature was pleasant. I went back up to Parkview Hills, taking O’Connor to Bermondsey, heading northwest, curving north until Sunrise Avenue and then east. About halfway back to O’Connor I saw some crows in a tree and so I stopped to try to photograph them, but they were too far up for any chance of a nice shot. One of them was at the very topmost branch and sometimes another would land there too but it seemed like awkward positioning. I think the crows were hanging around there because a little further down the street was some road kill and they were waiting for sundown on Sunrise so they could chow down.
            When I got back on my bike the front right brake pad had once again started rubbing against the rim. I dug the wrench out of my backpack and readjusted them, and then I continued on Sunrise to Hobson and turned left. I followed that to its dead end and then my brakes began to misbehave again. I stopped at the curb and while I was using the wrench I heard a horn beeping behind me. I turned and saw a van and the driver wanted to park where I was standing. I looked at him and threw up my hands in a “what the fuck?” gesture. There was no sign saying it was his parking space, I wasn’t blocking a driveway and it certainly wasn’t private property, so I had just as much right to park in that spot as he did. He parked his van in front of me.
            I rode back to Sunrise and followed it back to O’Connor and then south. I had to stop above St Clair for another session with the wrench. A little later at around Pape and Danforth I had to do it one more time. I’d noticed that the right pad was the one that kept edging back to squeak against my rim, so this time I tried pushing the left pad all the way to the rim and then tightened the nut. After that it was balanced again and stayed that way all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment