Friday 7 July 2017

Industrial Skeleton



            On Wednesday morning I discovered one more injury from wiping out on my bike the afternoon before. My right arm just below the shoulder, which has been problematic in the past, was a little sore. None of the problems limited my body for yoga, so that was a good thing.
            Late that afternoon I took a bike ride back up to Parkview Hills. There were a couple of fast riders on the Danforth that I couldn’t catch. They probably had much faster bikes though. It was hot out but the sky wasn’t very interesting this time.
            On the way a guy on a scooter passed me with a case of wine on his lap.
            While crossing the bridge over Taylor Creek there was a big middle-aged woman with a full cigarette in her mouth and with bleached hair driving a scooter on the sidewalk with a younger woman, also with bleached hair standing behind her. I had seen the same couple before in the neighbourhood doing the exact same thing and the woman had the same length of cigarette going at that time. I assume they are mother and daughter.
I rode up to Dohme and explored it’s three side streets north to Bermondsey. I passed the Muddy York Brewing Company, which looks like it might also have a little pub, based on the picnic tables outside, but I assume it would only serve people that work nearby.
            Surrounded by a fence was a large industrial property, overgrown with weeds as it was waiting for development. All that was left of the previous building was the rusted steel framework that looked quite nice there. I wondered if they were going to tear it down or build something new in and around it.
            Heading back I was worried about going through the same rough stretch of O’Connor that caused me to lose control the day before, but I was determined to beat it. This time I stayed well to the left of the really bad cracks, though O’Connor is pretty bad all over. I had no problem on this return trip and I was relieved.
            On the Danforth I stopped at the bank machine to take out $80 because I knew that my GST had been deposited.
            I took Danforth to Bloor to St George to College to Dovercourt. When I got to Dovercourt and Dundas there was a bike cop blocking the way south for cars but he said I could go through. I went but halfway to Queen the way was blocked off with tape and fire trucks on the other side. There was the very unpleasant smoke of a house fire in the air. I took a side street going back east that was also lined with fire trucks. I couldn’t find an opening to go south until I was back at Ossington, which also was full of fire trucks and hoses running along the street. I wondered if it was only one house that was burning.
            I stopped at Freshco. Strawberries were on sale but every package had several overripe ones so I didn’t bother. Red grapes were on sale too though so I took a couple of bunches. I bought some unripe bananas and a bag of Empire apples. I got raisin bread, cheese, plain yogourt, maple yogourt, milk, coffee and a frozen rack of ribs. I purchased a whole chicken and some chicken legs that were on sale with the catch that I had to cook them that night because of the best before date. Finally I grabbed a pack of six Ultra Sponge Towels for $5. I spent a total of $66.
            When I got home I went straight out to the liquor store to buy a can of Creemore, then I put it in the fridge. I quartered the whole chicken and started roasting it on a rack, then I put the chicken legs in a pot to boil. By that time it was 20:30 and I needed to make dinner, so I had toast and eggs with a beer that wasn’t as cold as I would have preferred.
            The episode of Maverick that I watched featured Jack Kelly’s Bart Maverick instead of James Garner’s Bret, but the story was entertaining and co-starred the very sexy Barbara Nichols as a saloon showgirl and the girlfriend of a bad guy. Nichols was sort of a poor man’s Marilyn Monroe.

No comments:

Post a Comment