Tuesday 4 July 2017

Pedals and Pins-ah!



            When I got home from the food bank on Thursday there was just enough time to put my groceries away and sit for five minutes before I had to go out to stand in another line-up. This one was for Bike Pirates. The only one ahead of me was a guy that didn’t speak much English with a bike that was missing handgrips, a seat, crank arms and brakes. After me came an attractive young woman in shorts with long brown hair. When I looked at her she smiled at me but at my age I have to accept that such smiles from young women may not be a sign of attraction. She might be just a friendly person who was taught to be kind to old people.
            Al least ten people were waiting when Den opened the gate and only let the first two of us to the stands while the rest had to wait in the lounge area. I clamped my bike to stand 5 and then waited for Den, since I didn’t know what to do. He put all the names on the list and then came back to get the first guy started. When he got to me I told him that my crank arm was wobbly. He said the first thing to do was to remove it, which first meant knocking out the pin, which is technically called a crank cotter, though he didn’t say that. He went to the front to get me their pin press, which pushed the cotter part of the way out and for the rest of the way I had to use a punch and a ball peen hammer. Den showed me how worn the cotter was to explain why the crank arm had been wobbling. The crank arms that I have are the ones that came with the frame before I built it into a bike. I don’t recall but I assume or at least hope that I didn’t change the original cotters when I built it and that it wasn’t a new one that got chewed up. If they were old then it makes sense that they would be worn out.
            Den got me a new cotter and I reinstalled the crank arm, but it wouldn’t line up now with the right one. This surprised Den because the cotter wouldn’t have gone in if the crank arm hadn’t been in the right position. He concluded that the cotter holding the other crank arm needed to be changed as well. I wondered why the arms were lined up straight when I came in and not after changing the cotter. He explained that they’d lined up because they’d both worn down in compliment to one another.
            The right crank cotter was harder to get out because it had gotten bent. The press didn’t work and neither did just hammering a punch against it. Den got a 4X4 board and drilled a hole in the end. He placed it under the hole where cotter would come out, lining that hole up with the one in the wood, then he got a bigger hammer and I used it with the punch. The cotter came out almost right away. With a new cotter I installed the crank arm and it lined up fine with the left one.
            I had noticed while working on the right crank arm that my right pedal was broken. I had suspected as much over the last few days when I heard it click while I was riding. I had several pedals in a kitchen drawer that I’d found quite a few years ago discarded in a box on the curb in front of a house along with many other small bike parts. Leaving my bike on the stand I went home to see if I had a right pedal. There were lots of left pedals but there was one set of black pedals that might be metal but felt like they might be carbon, though I’m no expert at recognition. They didn’t feel like metal that I’m used to. I took them both back to the shop and changed both pedals, though I kept the not broken left one to take home as a spare.
            I took my bike for a test drive around the block. The wobble was definitely gone form the crank arms. The new pedals felt shorter than the old ones and my feet felt awkward pedaling but it felt like it might just be a matter of getting used to them. I went back to Bike Pirates and put my bike back on the stand. I took the old pedal, placed it beside one of the new ones and saw that the old one was longer on the treading surface by at least a millimetre. I figured I could live with it. I oiled my chain and cashed out. Den told me that the cotters were only a dollar each, so this time, because I am so poor this time of year, I kept my $10 bill and only gave them a total of $5. I’ll give them more when I get work done in the fat time of year.
            It had rained earlier, so I decided not to take a long bike ride, but in my head there was also the excuse that I’d spent enough time on my velo earlier at Bike Pirates. It was so nice though in the late afternoon that I decided to at least ride up to Lansdowne and Dundas. That way I’d get a bit of exercise and I could use the $10 I had to get some margarine and whatever fruit was on sale. They had a big tub of Imperial margarine for $3 and a large bag of “Imperfect” apples for $5.
            That night I watched an episode of Maverick that guest starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr. speaking in a British accent and playing a sophisticated but conniving old rival of Maverick who teams up with the hero to defeat an even bigger asshole but tries to sneak away with all the money in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment