Sunday 8 January 2017

Adam West



            On Saturday I worked the first of two gigs for Artists 25. I’d been offered the job four days before and I accepted it, based on the probability of me not being sick anymore by the time Saturday came. Fortunately I was right.
            It was nostril pinching cold as I rode up Brock Avenue, so I was glad it was a short trip.
            I was glad to see old Tom Phillips among those that were there for the session. Tom ran the Saturday studio since before I started modelling in the early 80s, and it’s only been in the last few years that he hasn’t, so that’s why I haven’t done Saturdays for more than three years. It was only back in the fall that Cy Strom gave me the email of Colin Davis, who I sent my info to but who only recently contacted me with some last minute work. It must have been a cancellation, since I doubt if he would normally book models only four days in advance of a gig.
            I met Colin for the first time when I arrived. He was a lot younger than I expected and can’t be older than his thirties.
            I struggled with dozing off periodically throughout the morning, so that’s why at lunch time I took advantage of all the pillows and comforters they have there. I made myself a little bed on the stage and conked out for at least half an hour. Because of getting some rest I was able to mostly breeze through the afternoon session and the time went fast. I got paid ninety dollars in cash for the day.
            After work I decided that since I was nearby I’d head up to Walmart at the Dufferin Mall to buy underwear. If I didn’t get some briefs that would mean I would have to go out and do laundry on Sunday. I bought a six-pack of Hanes. The cashier told me there is no return or exchange on underwear. I guess that makes sense. After I’ve worn them once I can just sell them for hundreds of dollars online anyway.
            I rode down to Freshco. It was extremely cold by this time and I was glad to get inside the store.
            I bought two kinds of grapes but instead of buying bananas for my cereal I went to the canned fruit section where I picked up two cans of sliced peaches in pear juice as well as two jars of unsweetened applesauce.  They had frozen ribs on sale so I took a row because ribs is tasty. Instead of milk I selected some coconut milk. I got bran flakes and a bag of Cavendish fries.
            Before going home I went just past my door and crossed the street to the liquor store. But as I was about to lock my bike it suddenly occurred to me that it was stupid to take my gloves off and struggle with the key and the lock in the freezing cold just to lock my bike and then to have to do it again when I came back out of the liquor store when all I had to do was take my bike home and keep my hands warm during a short walk. So I took my bike home and then came back.
            The cashier gave the guy in front of me his change in shillings. It looked like Canadian money to me but he said, “There ya go! Sixty shillings!”
            I made eggs for dinner and watched two episodes of The Big Bang Theory. Bernadette finally told Howard about the baby then everybody was celebrating at a Tiki karaoke bar with Bernadette on stage in a chair while different characters sang her songs that have the word “baby” in them. Leonard was singing Salt n. Pepa’s “Push It”. Penny thought that he was beat boxing but he was really having an asthma attack. In the second show every regular and semi regular character, including Adam West, showed up for Sheldon’s first ever birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment