Saturday 21 January 2017

Are Blue Eyes the Eyes of the Devil?



            On Friday I finished reading Wayde Compton’s “Performance Bond”. There’s some good writing there and some interesting accounts of what used to be a Black neighbourhood in Vancouver. I guess the reason that I never saw it was because they tore it down a few years before 1972, which was the first time I was in Vancouver. I actually lived for a while not far away from what used to be called “Hogan’s Alley”. I remembered that besides the Black guys from Seattle that beat me up in the late 70s, around the same time I did encounter another African American who said he was a Black Muslim, except that he didn’t wear white like the guys from the Nation of Islam, but rather dressed extremely colourfully in African derived garb. I had seen him at a drop-in center and thought he was very interesting and so I was looking at him. He asked me not to look at him but arrogantly I refused to stop staring. He wanted to kill me. I ended up having an indirect conversation with him though because though he refused to talk to me, when I asked him questions he answered them by talking to my friend. He said that the Qu’ran says that blue eyes are the eyes of the devil and that all white men are snakes. When I look this up it seems to be one of the many nutty misinterpretations of the Qu’ran by Elijah Muhammed, the founder of The Nation of Islam. Apparently the Qu’ran that he had was a mistranslation and that the Arabic word in question actually meant “blurred” and not “blue”. A few weeks later I saw the little guy on Granville Street and he came up to me, gently kicked my shin and said, “Let’s go!” I calmly told him I didn’t want to complicate my life by fighting with him. “C’mon, complicate your life!” he urged. I just turned and continued on my way.
            On Main Street just north of Broadway I think, near the area that apparently used to be Hogan’s Alley there was a fantastic record store with a lot of rare disks. A couple of friends of mine and I discovered it when we were walking south to Queen Elizabeth Mountain. The owner was very friendly and when he found out we weren’t from the neighbourhood  he pointed out the back of a white house across the street and a little off Main. He said that Jimi Hendrix had lived there with his mother for a while. Looking it up now I see that it was Hendrix’s grandmother’s house and that it was indeed part of what used to be Hogan’s Alley.
            I watched two episodes of Johnny Ringo. One story dealt with the aftermath of what was referred to as the Jackson County War in Wyoming between large and small ranchers that had happened a few years before. But there was no Jackson County War in Wyoming. It was the Johnson County War. I really doubt if it would have spilled over years later from Wyoming all the way down to Arizona.
            The second story was one that involved Comancheros, who were described as half-breed whites and Indians cut off from either culture and so they’d turned to crime. But this was historically inaccurate as well. The Comancheros were white Mexican outlaws that traded with the Indians.
            I started reading and made it well over halfway through Jeff Derksen’s “The Vestiges”. What a tedious book of poetry! It’s extremely dry and cold in its attempt to present poetry about the mismanagement of cities and the oppression of its occupants by capitalism. There is even a section, several pages long, in which he has placed all of the passages from Karl Marx’s “Capital” that begin with the word “I”. Putting aside what an anal thing that is to have done in the first place, the result does not look, read or feel like poetry. It’s just a lot of text about the mathematical relationship between workers and employers and value equations. It seems to me he should have at least put the text in his own words and poeticized it somehow. He could have made it rhythmic; he could have rearranged the words with the cut-up technique; but it might have been most effective if he’d made it rhyme. I envisioned him as being a young guy with a nicotine stained beard and who sleeps in an old suit. But I found his photo and he’s light haired, clean-shaven and kind of nerdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment