Monday 2 January 2017

Both Good and Evil are Evil



           Unlike the last few mornings while I’ve been suffering from this cold, I didn’t have a backache when I got up on New Years morning. After yoga, when I started song practice, I found that I was still hoarse but I was hitting the notes this time. I didn’t have the strength to finish a whole set though, so I went back to bed. I got up again at 9:44. I read a bit of Anne Carson’s “Autobiography of Red” and I downloaded a few novels by Boris Vian from the Russian Library Genesis site. These guys have renewed some of my internet faith in Russians. This is the largest online library in the world. If they stick around they are going to save me a lot of money in university textbooks.
            I did a bit of translating because it doesn’t take all that much brainpower, just a bit of intuition.
            I watched Star Wars: the Force Awakens and it awakened in me the feeling I’ve always had about Star Wars in general. This inherently Christian philosophy of there being such things as good and evil; this battle between the dark side backed by the “Empire” and the light side backed by the “Republic” metaphorically plays upon the American Revolution and makes audiences associate the United States as being the centre of goodness.
            The movie has the same Star Wars formula that all the films have had: light sabre battles; small fighter ships shooting down narrow corridors to get to a target; struggles with the dark side of the force; reluctant warriors that come through in the end; and the expected unexpected death of a major character. I doubt very much if Han Solo is really dead. Harrison Ford is too much of a revenue draw for the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment