Friday 27 January 2017

Rickles



            On Wednesday morning I’d expected to have a sore back from having ridden my bike while standing up all the way home the night before, but there was no backache at all. I did have a sore left knee though from having banged it against the frame on a sudden downward thrust when the chain came off. I suspected though that it was only a bruised kneecap because it didn’t make me walk with a limp and it didn’t impede any of the knee bending I do during yoga. The one considerable limitation though was that it hurt when I put weight on it and so all of the poses that I did with the front of my body on the floor were difficult. After years and years of these kinds of injuries though I’ve gotten pretty good at self-diagnosis and I am pretty confidant that this is an injury that will heal fairly quickly.
            I spent a lot of the day writing about the previous day. In the evening I stepped out to the liquor store to buy a can of Creemore.
            I watched the first half of a Friar’s Club roast from the early 60s of Don Rickles, hosted by Johnny Carson. The speakers in that first half hour were Chet Brinkley, Alan King, Dick Cavett and Henny Youngman. Unlike the others, who made funny insults at Rickles’s expense, Youngman just did his regular routine. There was a joke about a guy who knocks on a woman’s door begging for something to eat. She asked him if he minded eating yesterday’s soup. He said he didn’t mind, so she told him to come back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment