Monday 9 January 2017

Were the Rat Pack Pack Rats?



            On Sunday I made my first attempt to make home baked beans in the cast iron bean pot my daughter sent me. I had soaked the navy beans over night and then around midday I began to simmer them in the same water. When they were ready I put a layer of beans in the bottom of the pot, followed by a layer of bacon, followed by a layer of onions. I repeated that pattern until all the beans were in the pot, along with a whole package of bacon and a whole onion. The sauce was made with molasses, brown sugar, salt, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and mustard. I poured that over the beans, covered them and baked them at 160 degrees centigrade for about four hours.
            It turned out pretty good, but I think I should have put the baking time at something closer to three hours. I also would have preferred salt pork to bacon but I couldn’t find any at Freshco. I guess back bacon would have been closer. It would have been better for the cooking to have been done just before dinner so that it would be hot when I ate it. Another problem was that I ran out of bread because I hadn’t been eating much while I was sick and when I finally got around to having some, most of what I’d had went mouldy. It was a good batch of home baked beans though.
            I ate them while watching two episodes of the Big Bang Theory. It’s an entertaining but not deeply satisfying comedy show. As a matter of comparison I consider South Park to be a very satisfying show. The one episode that stood out told the story of Sheldon’s laptop dying. Then he revealed a secret to Amy that no one else knows. He took her to a storage locker that contains everything that he has ever owned, including a baggie full of old baggies and a bag of toothbrushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment