Saturday 7 January 2017

Disgusted by Bananas



            It’s weird to say that on Friday I was feeling better but still sick. I was still stuffed up with my throat feeling like it was wearing a leash of glue on the inside. I also felt queasy in my stomach. I haven’t vomited for many years but I kind of felt like I could on Friday. Lately I’ve been disgusted by the smell and taste of coffee though I love the smell and taste of coffee, but lately it’s like a kind of syrupy resin of death. I don’t know if there’s something wrong with the coffee I’ve been making or what. I made it a little weaker than usual. I’ve also been feeling overwhelmed by the smell of overripe bananas. Because the heat is on so high in my apartment bananas get ripe sooner. I tend to only eat bananas with cereal or yogourt but while I was sick I didn’t eat either of those and so the bananas were left to just fill the room with that old, oversweet, cloying odour.
            I consider any call that’s not on my list to be suspicious because most calls that I receive are from bill collectors hired by Visa, Master Card and Rogers, neither of which do I ever plan on paying back. Usually these are from 800 numbers, which I just ignore, but sometimes they use various 416 numbers, which could also be someone offering me work, so I answer it. On Saturday I received a 416 call from a guy who asked if I was Christian Christian. I make it a point never to confirm who I am until the caller proves it’s not a bill collector. This guy said he represented the Housing Connections housing allowance for seniors. I said, “I’m not interested!” and was about to hang up when he persisted, “But you’re being offered a rent subsidy!” “Is this for a new place?” I asked. “Do you pay rent?” “Yes.” “Then it’s for the place where you live now!” “But don’t I have to be 65 to be considered a senior?” He told me that the benefit is starting for those 57 and older. I was becoming interested. He asked me a few questions about my living situation and was surprised by how little rent I pay already. I wondered if this would affect how much I receive from Ontario Works. He wasn’t sure but he did some checking and it looked like a small amount would be deducted but that the subsidy might work out to me getting ultimately more. He said that he would arrange for me to receive the application and I could discuss it with my worker when I receive it.
            I threw out the rest of my Christmas turkey. I decided it would be safer to stop eating it a week ago but I only had the energy to throw it out today.

            I watched a couple of episodes from the 9th season of The Big Bang Theory. The only thing that stands out from episode 15 is that Bernadette is pregnant but hasn’t had a chance to tell Howard yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment