Friday 20 January 2017

Cherries from Chile are Very Cheap



            On Wednesday I spent most of the day writing, until the evening when I needed to go out to buy bread and a few other things. I rode to Freshco and was just about to make a rare clean left turn from Queen onto Gladstone when a serious fire truck came whining westward, so I veered onto the other side of Queen and walked my bike across.
            Cherries from Chile were very cheap, I guess because it’s like July down there right now. I bought another little crate of Clementines. I got bread, but skipped meat since I had a few things in that category already. I picked up some old cheddar, some yogourt, a box of raisin bran and a bag of frozen French fries.
            The express cashier is a large young woman who always wears a lot of very skillfully applied makeup that I assume includes false eyelashes. Like most of the cashiers at the store for the decade it’s been Freshco and for the decades before that the store was Price Chopper, she’s of Portuguese descent. She doesn’t have an accent but she has a personally characteristic way of phrasing the question, “Do you need bags?” Her emphases are on the word “Need” and on the “s” at the end of “bags”, so it sounds like “Do you NEEDbagS?”
            I stopped at the liquor store on my way home. In the beer room a woman was standing and contemplating which brand to buy. It sure does save me a lot of time to know what I want.
            The short Vietnamese woman in front of me was buying four cans of beer and she looked nervous and guilty about it for some reason.
            I made ham and eggs with toast and watched two episodes of Johnny Ringo. It was disappointing watching those shows after being entertained by The Big Bang Theory for the last couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment