Saturday 16 September 2017

Hillbilly Witch



        I received the money for my grant last year on Friday September 16th, 2016. That was at the end of the first week of classes. This year though, as of September 15th, 2017, a week and a half into classes, I have not even gotten a letter about it, which would normally come a few days ahead of the deposit. I checked my journals and saw that in 2015 my money was deposited on Saturday September 19th, so maybe it’s not so late.
I finished reading Augustine’s “On Free Choice of Will”. Supposedly he proves to the person with whom he’s speaking that there is free will, but I didn’t find it convincing.
I read Edith Wharton’s “Souls Belated”. About a rich couple that have run off together to Italy and are dealing with the guilt of living in sin while reluctant to get married.
I watched an episode of Maverick in which he encounters a gorgeous hillbilly witch in the Smoky Mountains.
I read Henry James’s “The Beast in the Jungle”.  It was about a lifelong bond of friendship that is formed between a man and woman over her keeping his undisclosed horrible secret. She later reveals that she has one too. It seems that he doesn’t even know what his own secret is and she dies of old age before she can reveal it to him. My impression throughout the story was that the secret in this Victorian era story was that the man and woman were both Gay, but we never find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment