Friday 15 September 2017

Plato: the Invisible Pope



            I knew from the time that I got up on Thursday that it was going to be a warm day. All of my windows needed to be opened for me to be comfortable during yoga so I made sure that I wore shorts and a tank shirt to ride to Philosophy class.
            Later that morning I got a call from a private number that I almost didn’t answer because I’d thought it might be one of the usual bill collectors. It turned out to be Cheryl from the Toronto Housing Allowance Program. She told me that they’d reviewed my appeal for the allowance and that I was now being considered. She warned me that she wasn’t making any promises but that it looked like I would be approved, in which case I would receive a retroactive deposit for three months starting on September 18th. I guess she was calling me to let me know that my case was over her head now and so she couldn’t officially guarantee that I’d get the allowance, but it looks like I will. That’s good news.
            I was a few pages behind on my reading so I brought my laptop and sat at the study bar outside the classroom. By the time the lecture theatre cleared I only had five pages left. It turned out though that I wasn’t as behind as Professor Black. Her lecture was still covering our first reading.
            Augustine had become increasingly disenchanted with Manichean dualism with its equal good and bad deities that were material in some sense, whether solid or not. By book seven of his autobiographical confessions he has discovered Platonism through the Neo Platonists, Plotinus and his student, Porphyry. They helped him see the true nature of evil and that god and god’s abode were not material. Augustine saw that the metaphysical expression of Platonism mapped onto the Trinitarian theory of Christianity. The trinity was not three distinct substances. From Plotinus, Augustine established the hierarchy of:

Highest – One – Good
                          
                            /  Intellect              \
              - Being                                 |
                           \ Soul – Holy Spirit /

            There is a disanalogy here though as Augustine corrects the Neoplatonic view. He develops a theory of illumination, with god as the inner light and Christ as the inner teacher.
            But the NeoPlatonists were not always friendly with Christianity. Augustine refuted their belief in spiritual beings. But Augustine liked NeoPlatonism because it was monotheistic and it put the One and the Good above Being. Augustine identifies the One and Good with god but concludes that it is Being in itself.
            When Moses encountered the burning bush he asked for god’s name. Some see god’s response as a refusal to answer, but Augustine believed that, “I am who am” was telling Moses that god is pure being. There is a crucial connection between Being and Goodness, which rules out Manicheanism because it believed that evil has being.
            If god is Being then it must be the source and cause of all other beings. Effects resemble causes, so creatures resemble god with being and goodness. In the world, everything is subject to corruption, as in decay.
            To illustrate the experience of decay she told us that her cat killed a couple of chipmunks.
            Everything with being also has a principal of non-being. If it had existence from itself it would have the maximum of being and would not decay. If something exists then it must be good. If an evil being exists it cannot be purely evil and so Manichean dualism is impossible.
            She says that the slugs in her garden do no good. A nice person is better than a slug but Augustine says there is beauty in the whole but only god can see all of existence at once because god exists outside of the picture. One tile in a mosaic may have an ugly colour but contributes to the overall beauty.
            Evil is a kind of non-being but not Nothing and not an illusion. Evil is privation of good – relative non-being. Everything that is not god has a certain privation. Evil still can’t be a separate principal.
            Augustine became a Manichean motivated by worry that by making god the ultimate cause it would also be the cause of evil. If evil is just privation then god is not responsible. Something is only evil relative to you but good as part of the whole. God couldn’t make everything perfect because then it would be co-equal.
            Book 11 of the Confessions deals with Time and Eternity. Augustine analyzes the opening lines from the Bible in an inner dialogue with himself. His approach here is phenomenological.   
            “In the beginning …” deals with creation in time in temporal language. God the creator is eternal and unchangeable. What is the relation between time and eternity? Time and eternity are both always in the present. Eternity as the eternal present, an unending present outside of time is central for Augustine.
            I rode home along Queen. It was nice to finally be free of the busses. On the way I stopped to buy bananas and yogourt at Freshco.
            That night I watched an episode of Maverick that guest starred Kathleen Crowley. She’s been in several episodes either as different characters in recurring roles. She was a beautiful actress with an interesting style and voice.
            I tracked down and downloaded the few literary works in the syllabus that weren’t in the edition of the Norton Anthology that I’d downloaded earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment