Monday 4 September 2017

The Queen Streetcars are Back!



            I was glad to see on Sunday, while looking out my window during song practice, that the streetcars were back on Queen Street. The busses were still there too though, going to Long Branch while the trams seem to be travelling only between Neville Park and Roncesvalles.
            In my experience, University of Toronto classes have always started on the first Monday after Labour Day. The U of T website says that this year they begin on September 7. That would mean I have a Philosophy class on this coming Thursday.
            Having just finished re-watching Stop Making Sense I downloaded and started viewing Talking Heads Live in Rome. This one has Adrian Belew on guitar and though the two concerts were four years apart there is a striking contrast in the band’s sound. They got heavily into the funk and couple of the later members of the band had even been with the Funkadelics.
            It looked like rain but the Weather Network said it wouldn’t, so I took a bike ride. The eastern sky was filled with a complex array of textures, sizes and shapes of grey and white clouds. Some groups of cloud looked like scratches on the darker clouds behind them and some white puffs were striking as they floated in front of the darker sheets. As I road further and further east I got closer to a coal black cover of cloud that looked like it promised a downpour but it didn’t happen.
            I stopped to use the washroom at the Firkin at Woodbine and I noticed while I was unlocking my bike that the building across the street where there is now a Dollarama has the name “Kresge” set into the bricks near the top. Kresge’s became K-Mart in 1977.
            As I was waiting to walk across Victoria Park on Danforth to go north. A man on the other side started walking during the time drivers were trying to make left turns off Danforth and onto Victoria Park. The jaywalker looked like he was probably not psychologically in tune with his surroundings and was perhaps o psychiatric medication. One angry driver shouted out of his window, “Freak!” as he turned.
            I rode up Victoria Park to Denton, beside the subway station and went east to Pharmacy and back to Danforth. It looks like a pretty poor neighbourhood with some old looking, not very well maintained little cottage sized houses.
            On the way home, since the busses are not dominating Queen anymore, I rode down Dovercourt to Queen for the first time in quite a while instead of going all the way to Brock on College.
            I uploaded a song practice video from August 5th that I’d had in the camera for a month because I hadn’t had room on my computer. This one had a not bad version of Le Poinconneur des Lilas on it. I  re-listened to the one from two days before and decided that one sounded better, although it also had a couple of mistakes. I decided I’d start a project in Movie Maker using the video and audio from August 3rd, but by the time I went to bed I’d changed my mind and told myself that the next day I’d use the August 5th recording instead, because the August 3rd one had a word wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment