Monday 27 November 2017

Deforest Kelley



            I spent most of Sunday researching my Philosophy essay, which is due next Thursday.
            I practiced playing “Dead Autumn Leaves” five times but because of needing to work on the essay I don’t think I’ll be going to play it at Shab-e She’r on November 28. I’ll have to save the song for the one in December.
            Near the end of the day I felt like I was ready to start writing down ideas for my paper, but first I had to have dinner. I watched the third episode of the second season of Mike Hammer. Each story tends to take place in a different New York neighbourhood and Daren McGavin as Mike Hammer always does a voice over at the beginning to set the scene. This one was on the Lower East Side: “The melting pot of a big city that has moulded some of its most famous citizens, as well as some of its most infamous … The East River Drive is a thin ribbon of concrete which connects the two extremes of New York’s East Side: the lush, fashionable Upper East Side of the 80s and the Lower East Side of Delancey and Forsythe Street. Only a few miles apart in distance, miles apart in other ways.”
            The other interesting thing about this episode was that the bad guy was played by Deforest Kelley, who later played Dr.“Bones” McCoy on the original Star Trek series. His character murdered a man while robbing his drug store. A young man witnessed the crime but refused to cooperate with the police because Kelley’s character was married to his big sister.
            It’s striking how much Gary Sinise looks like the young Deforest Kelley.
            I finally started working on my essay before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment