Thursday 9 November 2017

God Can't Be the Greatest, Since Alice is the Greatest



            On Tuesday morning I didn’t have to go to Philosophy class because this is Reading Week. I think that it was because of this that I felt so sleepy while typing my lecture notes from the previous Thursday. I worked until 9:30 and then went back to bed. I got up at around 10:45 and finished my transcription. Then when I tried to upload my notes to my blog, the HTML had coded in a background that blanked out much of the text. I had to spend an hour editing the HTML until the text was normal. This usually only happens when I paste text from the internet into my documents and so I avoid doing that. I don’t know what caused it this time unless it was the forward arrow symbols that I pasted in from the character map.
            I didn’t leave home at all, even though I ran out of fruit. I got caught up on my journal, did the dishes and then in the afternoon I felt sleepy again. I took another siesta and got up feeling more refreshed than from the one I’d taken earlier.
            I looked at the two topics for the final Early Medieval Philosophy essay and decided that it would be easier to write about Anselm of Canterbury than on Ghazali. I read Anselm’s Monologian twice, then copied it into a Word document and pared it down to its essential points. He thinks he’s proven god exists by saying that for anything that is good or great there is something better and greater and so there must be something supremely good or great of which nothing is better and greater. But just because something is the greatest it doesn’t mean that it’s the cause of all the lesser greatnesses.
            I watched an episode of Mike Hammer in which a dress shop owner was bugging the offices of a prominent psychiatrist to find incriminating evidence with which to blackmail rich female patients into buying his dresses on the threat that he’d make their indiscretions public.

No comments:

Post a Comment