Friday 10 November 2017

Would Robert Frost Have Written As Much About Snow if His Last Name Had Been "Lava"?



            On Wednesday morning there was a strange, squeaking sound going off periodically outside. It was not extremely high pitched. It was something like the sound of a streetcar turning or that of the death rattle of robot raccoon road kill. At first I thought that the electronic sound effects of the walk signal at the corner might have been malfunctioning, but when I stuck my head out of the window it didn’t sound closer. Maybe it was the coming from the crosswalk a block away on Brock.
            I was out of fruit so I rode down to No Frills where I got a couple of bags of grapes. I also bought a bag of chicken legs, some Rubschlager bread, Sunlight detergent, baking soda, a few other things and a package of stainless steel scrubbers. I still had a scrubber at home but when they get old then they start to break up and I find little bits of wire coming off on a pan. I have to be very careful to clean the pan also with a brush afterwards so I don’t end up with metal strips in my food, which fortunately has not happened yet.
            When I got back I realized that I’d forgotten to buy cereal and yogourt so I walked over to Fullworth. I don’t know how that place has stayed in business for so long since it’s empty every time I go in there. The store is very cheap for a lot of things but not for normal food items like yogourt and cereal. Since I was there already and didn’t want to ride back to the supermarket I spent $5 on a box of Raisin Bran. I stopped to buy a can of Creemore at the liquor store on my way home.
            In the evening I didn’t go to English class because it was Reading Week, but at home I spent three hours reading the poetry of Robert Frost three times for each poem and one of them aloud. 
            Since I’ve been watching the late 50s TV show of Mike Hammer it totally slipped my notice that Darren McGavin, the star of the show is the same guy that played the grouchy father in the film, “A Christmas Story”.

No comments:

Post a Comment