Tuesday 12 December 2017

Concrete Pierogies



            On Monday morning my cold was still hanging on. My singing voice was worse than the day before and only sounded remotely like singing on the lowest notes. . It would have been appropriate to be that limited while singing Serge Gainsbourg songs in French if my voice wasn’t even worse than his after a million Gauloise cigarettes.
            I also had what felt like a lump of cement in my stomach. Two nights before I’d cooked some frozen pierogies and ate half. The next morning I’d felt no discomfort. That night though when I went to reheat the rest, since I remembered how bland they’d been, this time I’d melted havarti cheese over them. They tasted a lot better but for some reason they sat in my stomach undigested.
            That night I practiced playing “Dead Autumn Leaves” six times and my singing voice was much closer to normal, though I suspected that it would be limited again the next morning. I recall reading that Frank Sinatra refused to sing until the late afternoon because that’s when his voice was at its best. I think the vocal chords are not relaxed in the morning.
            We had our first big snowfall and I went to bed to the even thunder of a scraping snowplough.


No comments:

Post a Comment