Sunday 31 December 2017

Sandals in the Snow



            The tap water still tasted like iodine on the Saturday morning of December 23rd but I drank it anyway during song practice, forcing down big gulps to get it over with.
            I dreaded going to the food bank that day because of the horrible, cold wait last time. When I arrived there were two cop cars parked in front. I established my place in line with an orange Australian Boot Company bag and headed for the door to go downstairs but it was locked. I asked why the cops were there and the big guy with the baseball cap and the moustache said that the new manager (the one who’d been swearing at people in line last time) had called the police on an old woman that had gone downstairs to pee.  A couple of minutes later the two ossifers came up with the elderly Jamaican woman who usually gets in line at about 7:00. She was told she couldn’t go back down because it’s private property and they had a right to not want her there. The old lady told us that all she’d done was gone down to pee but the manager pushed her body and her face. I suggested that she charge her and everybody else agreed. One of the lowpeace officers, who looked something like Anderson Cooper, as he was getting into his car, declared, “Nobody’s charging anyone with assault!” I wondered why the cop said she couldn’t charge someone with assault that had pushed her. The e-cigarette guy answered, “Because he’s an asshole!” and then advised her to call another cop and to press charges. Downstairs they’d put a few food items in a box for the old lady. It was now lying on the floor of the entryway. When she was asked if she wanted it she exclaimed in her Jamaican accent, “They can stick it up where the sun don’t shine!”
            After the fuzz left I went downstairs. When I walked into the food bank the manager called out to me, “We’re not open yet, sweetie!” I said, “I know. I’m here to make a donation.” The manager seemed to appreciate a donation of cat food and said, “Not enough people think about the cats!” I explained that mine had died of old age. She said she was sorry but I said I wasn’t and declared that 17 years is long enough to have cats (though that was just one generation. I’d actually had that family of felines for 20 years). I told her that I write a column on the food bank experience and I wanted to interview someone in management. She said I could interview her and take a tour of the facilities after the holidays. She gave me her name, Valdene, and the number for the food bank.
            It was snowing in a steady, sleepy and somewhat lovely fall. Bart was not in line, but rather standing against the wall between the food bank door and the entrance to the Parkdale Activity and Recreation Centre. As usual, he was calling out absurd and often obscene statements, as his condition compels him to do. A tough looking, skinny young man came walking awkwardly through the snow, wearing sandals over bare feet. As he passed Bart he heard him say something and thought he was speaking to him. He stopped and confronted Bart, telling him that he should show more respect. Bart told him, “You don’t understand” and revealed himself to be quite aware of his own affliction as he tried to explain to the guy that he hadn’t been talking to him or to anyone, but the guy just gave Bart an angry warning to watch his mouth and then continued on. A half an hour or so later he came back and chased Bart out into the street, even though Bart is much taller than him, then he shouted more threats and went back the way he’d come, almost barefoot in the winter weather.
            Wayne was in line, even more exuberant, animated and behaviourally over the top than usual while he danced and shouted ridiculous things. I assume that in terms of uncontrolled speech, Bart and Wayne share a similar disorder, but it’s interesting what different characteristics their language and expression have. Bart is much more dramatic and often takes on different voices, while Wayne’s verbal ejaculations are often clearly intended to be funny. Wayne started singing a Christmas carol and approached me, asking if I anted him to stop. I assured him that he could keep on singing. He responded, “No, I want you to pay me to stop!” I informed him that he would have to pay me to pay him to stop singing. “A man of intelligence!” he declared and moved on to another routine.
            Someone in line compared Wayne to Gene Gene the Dancing Machine on the Gong Show.
            I looked away from Wayne for a couple of minutes and when I turned back he was dancing around with his pants off as the snow fell on his naked legs. It looked like he had a pair of shorts on underneath, but nonetheless it was a pretty surprising display. It seemed his intention was to put on a show for passing traffic as he walked to the edge of the sidewalk and did a mock stripper dance. Shortly after that he hurriedly put his pants back on but fifteen minutes later he took his coat off and pulled the legs of his pants up until his legs were just as exposed as before and began another raunchy gavotte. He did this for several minutes, then he pulled his pant legs down and pulled up the waistband to his stomach till he looked like a tubby version of Steve Erkel and commenced prancing around like that, and to make it even more comical, he was wearing a trilby hat backwards that sat high on his head because it was too small. Then, with each hand he pinched two side-by-side points on his sweatshirt and pulled the fabric out as far as he could to imitate breasts and continued to dance that way for a while.
            The people ahead of me were a middle-aged couple from Poland, though I assume they met here in Canada. They chatted in Polish the whole time, except when she was affectionately leaning her head on his shoulder. It seemed to me that they got along so well that they couldn’t possibly be married.
            The line started moving at around 11:00 but it was closer to 11:30 by the time I got downstairs. I noticed that the windows had already been repaired since the angry guy broke them last week.
            Sue was back handling the meat and dairy. She left the food bank almost two years ago but she always returns to help out at Christmas time. I complimented the new colour of her braids. She thanked me and joked that she was feeling blue.
There was the usual choice between frozen hot dogs and the frozen ground chicken that I selected. She gave me a two half litres of milk; six eggs (at least one of which broke before I got home); a frozen, cooked ham, two 225 gram tubs of pro active margarine, a pack of Pillsbury raspberry turnovers. We wished each other a merry Christmas and I moved on to Sylvia’s vegetable section.
Sylvia gave me two small bunches of organic collard greens; a bag of three organic romaine hearts; three small zucchini; ten potatoes and five small bosc pears. She offered me some Granny Smith apples and a bag of onions but I still had a bag of each from last time. After I wished her a merry Christmas and turned towards the shelves, I was standing and waiting for a volunteer when Sylvia offered me a turnip. A woman nearby corrected her that it was a rutabaga. I was sceptical, but I looked it up later and found that she was right. The fact that it was waxed apparently is a dead giveaway. Rutabagas are said to have come about when a turnip got crossed with a cabbage. The first official record of the rutabaga is by a Swiss Botanist from 400 years ago. I turned Sylvia’s rutabaga down because I was just finishing up the one that I’d gotten last time and there is only so much of that strong, sharp rooty flavour that I can take. Just then someone gave Sylvia some tomatoes so I asked her for one and she gave me two.
I was glad that my helper for the shelves was the tiny, elderly Filipino woman. She is always so nice that it’s hard not to smile at her. She asked if I was being served. I declared, “You’re serving me!” and she confirmed with a smile, “I’m serving you!”
There was a wide variety of cereals on offer, but I picked one that had lost its box and had a transparent bag showing that it had flakes, raisins, dried cranberries and chopped almonds.
I took a tomato and basil sauce from the pasta section.
At the top of the soup shelf I found a carton of organic free range chicken broth. How could it possibly be “free range” if it’s stuck in the same size container as all the regular chicken broth? Shouldn’t it be allowed to flow freely along the floor of the food bank?
Below the broth were some canned soups. I chose an organic lentil soup but my helper acted sheepishly co-conspiratorial because I think she had been indicating ineffectively that I’d been supposed to take from the soups to the left of where her hand had been. She seemed to be telling me afterwards to put it quickly and deeply in my bag. One would almost think a SWAT team was going to burst in at any minute and take me out because I took organic lentil instead of Campbell’s tomato.
The canned protein/peanut butter shelf had a wide variety of canned meat and fish, I assume because that’s the kind of thing that people donate during the Christmas season at the supermarkets in the big barrels near the exits. I selected a can of tuna that turned out to be yellowfin in broth and oil.
From the bean shelf I got my usual can of chickpeas and among the canned vegetables I found a tin of crushed pineapple.
Below those were a choice between cartons of vegetable milks and organic orange juice. I picked the juice and she gave me two.
The cracker shelf had only sleeves of saltines and boxes of rice crackers. I grabbed the box.
Since she could reach them so easily, my helper was good at giving me stuff from bottom shelves. She scooped up for me a handful of small bags of gummy fruit candies, a couple of little packages of breadsticks with cheese dip and three dark chocolate and cherry trail mix bars.
The top of the last shelf always has a variety of snack items. I took the jar of salsa con queso.
I often skip the bread, but since I had a turkey to stuff in a couple of days I grabbed a couple of loaves of cranberry raisin flax bread that in terms of freshness were both way past sliceability. I also took a bag of pre-sliced organic spelt thin sandwich buns, the kind with multiple dock holes, because they would go well with some ground beef that I planned to make into burgers.
Because of the Christmas season the food bank has had much more plentiful offerings for the last couple of weeks than usual. There have been a greater variety of vegetables as well, though the quality has been low. The collard greens were pretty wilted, the zucchini turned out to be partly squishy, the tomatoes had to go straight to the garbage and I was worried about the romaine hearts because of recent news reports advising nobody in Ontario to eat romaine right now because of the risk of e coli. They look pretty fresh but I think I’m going to toss them just to be safe.
After leaving the food bank I immediately rode through the snow to the No Frills at King and Jameson. My main reason for going there was to buy bacon but I needed some fruit as well. The grapes weren’t looking so hot so I got a bag of oranges and a couple of packets of raspberries, as well as the bacon and a few other things.
After bringing my groceries home I went back out to the liquor store to get some beer. I planned to drink a little more than usual so I decided on a small case of 8 Creemore, which might last me till New Years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment