Sunday 31 December 2017

Rocketted as a Baby from the Exploding Planet Brooklyn ...



            On the Friday morning of December 22nd there was a mild snowstorm happening when I got up and it had been blowing all night. A guy in an electric wheelchair was whipping along the sidewalk across the street and he shouted “Yeehah!”
            The storm must have done something to the water purification plant. The water from my tap that morning had the same chemical taste that it had for a few days back in the summer.
I finally got around to tidying up in the kitchen and opened a letter from Social Services that had been sitting on my table since at least the beginning of the week. It turned out to be a notice that my assistance would be cut off because they didn’t receive my income statement. The letter was dated December 14th but usually we’re supposed to send in our statement on the 15th of every month. I’d mailed my statement on Saturday the 16th but I guess they process the cheques early in December and since I was late for that their computer automatically sent out a notice. I was guessing that they’d probably received my income report since then but I called my worker to make sure. She wasn’t answering so I left a message.
            I was thinking that there might be a before Christmas sale at the Salvation Army thrift store, since when they have sales they are usually on Fridays. I rode through the slush to the Sally Ann but the sign on the window said that they only had a sale on Christmas items and that their clothing sale would be on Boxing Day.
            I took a siesta in the early afternoon and went to sleep right away but ten minutes later I got a return call from my worker. She told me she hadn’t received my income report but if I could tell her my income she’d process the info and release a cheque for me. I tried to go to the OCADU website but my network connection was not good at that time. She said I could leave the information on her voice mail. About fifteen minutes later I finally had written down my pay statements and right then I got a call from Janet, telling me that she’d just gotten my income statement. That was a relief!
            I tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t, so after less than half an hour of trying I got up and did some writing. In the early evening I started feeling tired and so I went down for proper nap.
            The origin of Superman: Mild mannered baby, Clark Kent, after being carried from the exploding planet Brooklyn by a pregnant Radio City Rockette was bitten at the moment of birth by a radioactive building superintendent. Born with janitorial and maintenance skills far behind those of a normal human being, he’s part super and part man.  He’s Superman!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment