Friday 29 December 2017

George Elliot Clarke Burned Up the Mic



            On Tuesday December 19th I got a return call from one of the events coordinators at the Gladstone Hotel in response to my request to use the Art Bar for the Orgasmic Alphabet Orgy’s 25th anniversary. I explained to her that this had been a writers open stage that ran every week in the Art Bar for almost six years. First off she gave me the disappointing news that the Art Bar is no longer available for events because Ryerson University uses the space as a gallery. I said I was still interested in using the Gladstone for the celebration but when she asked me if I wanted catering of food and beverages I told her that we could just get our drinks from the bar. She asked if I was looking to rent a room for this event but I informed her that I’m a poor poet on welfare and that I was hoping they would consider me as part of the Gladstone’s cultural heritage and not charge me any money. She let me know that she wasn’t the one to talk to about this event because she handles rentals but she would pass my contact information on to one of the cultural coordinators at the Gladstone.
            That evening I packed up my guitar, my pick and my tuner and headed out to Shab-e She’r. On Brock Avenue, in addition to the bicycle route signs painted in white on the road there was also printed in large letters was the word “SCHOOL”. This is very dangerous. Stupid parents taking their children to school for the first time might read that, think that’s where the school is and just leave their kids in the middle of the street.
            On College Street, just before Ossington, I passed a parked van that had a Christmas wreath hanging over its wing mirror.
            While I was locking my bike in front of the St Stephen in the Fields Anglican Church, Bänoo Zan came out for her pre-event cigarette. On my way in I said hi and didn’t bother teasing her about her smoking this time. 
            Inside, Cad Gold Jr. and Tom Smarda were already there.
            A few minutes later, Bänoo came to the stage and announced that she was looking for “brave” people to sign up for the open stage. I asked if it was okay to read if I was a coward. My theory is that there is really no such thing as bravery and that every apparently courageous thing anyone does is actually motivated by fear. I read or sing my poetry on stage because I am afraid not to.
            I tuned my guitar and was running through the song I planned to do that night, when Tom came over with his guitar to play along. I went through the piece a couple of times and then another that I plan to do at Shab-e She’r in about six months. Tom asked if it was my own or one of my translations and I said it was the second. Cad teased that I only do translations because I’ve run out of my own ideas. Tom argued, “I’m sure he still does original stuff too.” Cad doesn’t know any better but it’s a bit annoying when people don’t realize just how original and creative poetic translations are. I know that Bänoo does translations of Persian poets, so she’d probably back me up on this. I think that people that don’t do translations think that a translator is just finding English equivalents to all the words of the other language. But there are more factors to a poem than just the words. If there are rhymes then new rhymes must be found; languages rarely have the same word play and metaphors and so new ones have to be found that still fit the meaning of the original poem.
            For example, “Comme un Boomerang”, a song by Serge Gainsbourg that I recently translated has to have every other line rhyme with “rang” and still convey the meaning of the return of the memory of a painful relationship. There are a lot fewer words like that in the English language than there are in French. One of the verses directly translates as: “I have on the tip of my tongue/your first name almost erased/twisted like a boomerang/my mind had rejected/ from my memory because of the carousing/and your love exhausted me.”
            My adaptation of the verse is: “On the tip of my tongue hangs/your name that I’d tried to clear/twisted like a boomerang/my mind had thrown so far from here/the memory of the whole shebang/when your love drained all the atmosphere.”
             I started playing “One Hundred Hookers” and then Cad told Tom that he’d co-written the song with me. I corrected him that I had based the song on one line from one of his poems but he had not co-written it. In addition to the line I used I wrote it inspired what I know about Cad’s life and the claims that he makes. He declared that he’d co-written the song by telepathically sending me the information. I told him he couldn’t even psychopathically send messages to his own brain. He countered, “Yes I can because I’m a psychopath!” I added, “You’re a licensed psychopath” and he liked that.
            It was getting close to start time, so Tom went to his seat. Bänoo didn’t start on time though because I think she was waiting for George Elliot Clarke. He finally breezed in at about ten after, came up to me, shook my hand and sat down beside me, but one seat away. I asked him how, “How’s the poetry teaching business?” He answered, “If only I could teach!” I inquired if the university wasn’t letting him teach, but I’d misunderstood. In his comment he’d been trying to show humility about is teaching abilities. I wondered if he was doing Canadian Poetry again this year but he wasn’t. This term he had taught African Canadian Literature and Black Epics of the Americas with a focus on the long poem. He said next year he’d be teaching the postgraduate Creative Writing course. I told him that I want to take that course once I have my BA. He said, “Well, you have the talent, so I expect to see you there!” That was nice for him to say and encouraging, since the Masters course only accepts seven students a year.
            I told George that I was currently taking 20th Century U. S. Literature. He asked if we were covering any non-fiction. I answered that we looked at some, such as Booker T. Washington’s “Up from Slavery”. George commented that Washington’s autobiography had a lot of fiction in it. I added, “Don’t they all?” He nodded.
            We started at around 19:15 with the Laboni Islam reciting the native land acknowledgement.
            Filling in as photographer was Diem Lafortune. I’ve known her for years as a pretty good musician and songwriter with the stage name of Mama D, but I never knew her real name or that she did photography.
            John Portelli kicked off the open mic with a poem called “For Walid” – “Every day I see you on your way to her … warm veil … Once there was Palestine  … orange on her twin breasts … Like you, I am fugitive … without knowing who I am … born to give birth to love … The prophets are no longer scrupulous … the way pomegranates ripen … You, lover of the princess … the robin has chosen to perch right next to you …”
            Before the next reader, Bänoo took a moment to acknowledge the Shab-e She’r team and to announce that one member, Giovanna Riccio was sick at home.
            Waleed was next and told us that what he would be reading was something he’d written the night before – “When people see the chair and not the person … the identity is stolen away.”
            From another poem – “If you only knew … the words I used when I described you … the battles I have to let you rest … what would you do?”
            Laura DeLeon read two poems.
            From “Ode to Autumn” – “Trail gazing above and star gazing below … the deep chill arrives … before the uncertainty … the striking darkness cast against the night sky … the wayfarer shall find his way home.”
            From “Winter Be My Bride” – “Take my hand and learn my love … Kiss my eyes so that I may see the way … I have the thorn in my hand / you wear the crown … Why are hearts made of stone?”
            Peyton Brien read “Tales of Twins and Wings and Other Lives” – “This twin within … in moments it is she who rules … glimpsing fierce gods … We are knives as we struggle with our magnificent failures … This distant smile … Nothing but ruin … No silk roads glisten to guide our way … Who are you now … the quicksilver sky thundering … Death swept down … Each of us offered death a poem … That doesn’t mean she draws my twin and I into her arms … We have wings / Why do we not fly? / No answer …”
            Diem Lafortune read “On Holy Back” – “My wound is still bleeding / and all the hugs in the world aren’t helping … I need you to hold me / for all the mistakes … The reds will bleed out … rewinding my flesh … I need you to hold me like a child … like only a good poem can rescue me …”
            Then she read “Fishing” – Where is that place / between agony and ecstasy … Where is that silent pool where the rod tips, trips and ripples … Where is that place where no means no … Where maybe is a cold, deep place … Where without the muse to cut the line … Where is that place where truth can gut the lies?”
            Nick Micelli read “Solstice Poem” – “The longest night … My soul goes down deep … With old faithful sadness I am never along … As the gloom fills with light there’ll be none left but me.”
            Annick read two poems.
From “Magpies” – “A pest / quotidian / You say ‘beautiful’ / and spark derision … The whiteness of the sky … rippling our vision into mirage …”
From Translation Politics – “Finger fucking you / came so easy last night … You said your body is strange / but no, it’s like a song.”
            A few minutes into the readings one of the scheduled photographers had arrived. Bänoo announced at this point that a third had shown up and on hearing, George turned to me and enthused, “We’ve got paparazzi here tonight!”
            Our first feature was Lisa Richter, who first of all announced that some of her ESL students had come to hear her read.
            Her first poem was “What You Find In the Attic” – “Beating the muffled footsteps into submission … Bouquet of spider veins … The first great love that you … developed in a high school darkroom … the past worms its way back …”
            From “Long Exposure” – “Sometime after midnight I found our old photos and contact sheets … I scratched a mosquito bite until it bled … You backstroked towards me … beneath the shadows that swam on the sloped ceiling … my hair still dripping with lake …”
            From “Boxing Day” – “Along the curve of St Urbain … holding o to their original shape … dark in Montreal … lifted off the loading dock … Green things groundhog up through the thick mud … breathe in the stunted season …”
            Lisa told us that she wrote a series of poems based on some photo albums that she’d found abandoned in a park.
            From “Mountain Peak at Red Rose” – “Nothing in these mountains would ever suggest convenience stores … keeping propeller skins of vertigo away … intertwined more for warmth than love … turning speech into constellations of syllables … dry needles and bedrock.”
            From “Cabin at Red Rose” – Blackened roof … boards once nailed together … history of incomplete stories … A white man spearing the myth of vertical power … Extract the Earth’s … viscera and … process … setting out to chisel the mountain’s heart.”
            Lisa informed us that this was the last night of Hanukkah.
            From “How to Write a Hanukkah Poem” – “Choose your preferred spelling from the seven or eight available … Latkes. Paper towels to soak up the grease … paper bags to soak up the grease from the paper towels … Hard flakes of coloured wax … Don’t call the menorah a hanukkiah, the proper word … you will alienate most people … Make dreidl games dirty … Make space latkes that will get you high … Snort lines off … the Talmud. Forget about inviting distant relatives … a catalogue of scars …”
            Lisa shared that she was living in Tel Aviv during the second intifada.
            From “Gaza Under Siege” – “ … house sitting … watering aloe and spider monkey … Slide open the cool, mirrored doors … the nearby shudder of brush steel machines … the death toll of children in Gaza reaches five-hundred … Sip your wine … until it reads as diluted blood. Read the horror. Remember the sound of the fireworks in Tel Aviv … could just as easily have been rockets … in Gaza, bodies … wood … and metal … amass in baroque jumble … On Facebook … feeds of loathing, fear culled from recipes … -- they brought this onto themselves, they hate us more than they love their own – morsels you can no longer keep down, no longer … kosher …”
            Lisa’s next poem, “Please Don’t Go! We’ll Eat You Up, We Love You So!” was inspired by Maurice Sendak – “Summer of ’35. The monsters / in your Brooklyn closet / go Look at him / not a little / pischer anymore … Uncle Schmuel kisses you … Auntie Rosie’s bosom / is a bosom … of moist cleavage she pulls / your face into … groans of guttural Yiddish // On the way home from / school the Horowitz boys / corner you in the alley / call you faygeleh … mocking you / with flopping wrists, spritzing / lisp-spray through their teeth / into your eyes … mash your face / with meaty fists //  … someday / in Greenwich village, you’ll find / other boys … who will spoon / you on lumpy mattresses … whose / bodies you will devour with groans / of guttural Yiddish // the hairy-starred night, your breath a silver / diaphanous shroud in … onyx air … armies of arms / holding up a bridegroom’s chair … // you land … where the wild ones / grunt and dance the world into creation / scoop you up into a shaggy embrace / you hope they won’t let go.”
            From “If I Could Be Anyone I Would Be Winona Ryder” – “She’s corseted and hoop skirted … She’s that shiny haired girl drinking big gulps on a Dallas morning … That one cup of java and one Camel Light pass between them … Looking for someone to shoot the shit …”
            Lisa’s final poem was written for Kate Braid and entitled “Form Work” – “Rank with sweat, hard hated / in the trenches where men before you / have have slipped and stuttered, you build the molds / that retain words or cement, construct / foundations … you split the earth’s stone lip, heavy heel / on the shovel, grunt as it slides in / like the sound of a poem cleaving / when the heart is attuned to the breath … loved the honest thud … generous / creak of ladder rung … the reassurance of gravity … Let this act of making go on. Let this winter morning sink … fangs into my hide … you are slinging your hammer … showing me how it’s done.”
            Lisa Richter is addicted to lists. Of course, nothing is off limits to a poet but if the poem is written around the list as opposed to the list being a servant to the poem, it becomes a trap. Lisa is also heavily in need of an editor because overwrites her poems. She adds far more descriptions and adjectives than are necessary to convey the meaning. Quite often she makes a description obvious and then she puts more description in as if she’s not confident that she’s done enough. She needs an Ezra Pound to, as T. S. Eliot said he did for him on The Wasteland, perform a caesarean on the poem before it stumbles into overkill.
            Bänoo called a break, during which time I softly practiced my song and to my left watched a continuous procession of people come up to speak with George and to give him things. Kintsugi (Claudia) gave him a beautiful Christmas card from homemade paper and some excerpts from her novel; John Portelli gave George a book of poetry. A few others approached him as well and it reminded me a of the nativity scene, with George Elliot Clarke being the central figure.
            After the break, Bänoo introduced George as having been the fourth poet laureate of Toronto and as the current parliamentary poet laureate of Canada. She declared that he is the best poet laureate because he comes to Shab-e She’r sometimes to perform on the open stage.
            To be fair, I don’t think that George would come to read on the open mic at Shab-e She’r if his girlfriend was not volunteering there.
            George began with a shout out to Giovanna Riccio, whom he said was “the companion of my heart”. He said Shab-e She’r is special because that’s where he and Giovanna met. I assume they came together as a result of being the two features a couple of years ago. Bänoo didn’t mention that George being the feature this time was the first break from her record of never having the same feature twice.
            George also thanked the “battery of paparazzi” that was working the floor this night. I think that having his picture taken is something that George likes, along with being addressed as “Doctor Clarke”.
            George read from his most recent collection, called “Canticles I Volume II”.
            He began with “Post-Bellum Negro Inventory” – “Now cometh … the precipitously iniquitous Negro … the cotton pickin, banjo pickin, nose pickin Negro / the recidivist, throat cutting, Republican-Party Negro / the lavendar-gum, ivory-tooth, indigo-sable Negro / the tubercular, diabetic, syphilitic Negro … the hobo, itinerant, nowhere to go Negro / the alcoholic, Catholic, imbecilic Negro … the Negro doctor … the bamboozling and/or wham-bam Negro … the Negro who sleeps at your table and eats in your bed / the Negro of magnificent assets (auctioned off) / the denim’d-down damn- y’all-to-hell Negro … the Negro of needless sentences and useless explanations … the Negro whose sex imposes midnight on a cloudy nymph … the Negro whose head is stuck inside a lyncher’s rope … the silly coot Negro, tomcatting and twat stealing still / the Uncle Tom Negro, quick with Bible verse and razor blade / the Negro spewing Machiavelli and chewing macaroni … the Negro who never lets your blushing wife rest.”
            George explained that in this book he takes on characters and writes in their voices.
            He clued us in that his next poem asks what if Malcolm X had published his autobiography when he was still a gangster. From “The Autobiography of Detroit Red (1946)” – “ … we got summoned to the spastic casket opening / to view the cold drainage … his sliced off trunk / limbs dirtied by slippage neath the trolley / in the nigger-hating street … a hearty Upset, an inversion: His Death … Papa’s played “an exaggerated suicide” … Mom’s complexion mirrored a boiled egg / She now studied white people thoroughly / could spy the penis a Klansman … Her prayers enunciated puke … How could we retaliate / for Earl Little’s bedraggled corpse … transfigure Malcolm Little … into … Detroit Red … do creature-pleasing feel-good Crime / while maintaining a spine of ice … bitter in my Splendour … a shoe helps in trampling a throat / know how to appeal and how to appal … enjoy the pure groans of a doll’s twitching / my slang flowed vivid and acidic as graffiti … To be destructively digestive / to rivals, I’d be as blunt and backward / as is a toilet flushing … To be big on Sex and short on Love … diddling white witches all night … I boasted a machine gun / and I was trigger-happy, dapper / no jigaboo bugaboo / Detroit Red … allies me with Mao … authentically / drastic … mama’s in a madhouse / accepting antiquated lobotomies / and brothers have gone so insane / with nationalized Islam / they think themselves Negro Mormon / squares: same shoe, shirts, suits  / (I snatched up a Qu’ran in a liquor store / that is either a sign / or it’s dissonance) … I got into the rackets by osmosis … I fell in with Sophia / slutty beauty … tight cunt putain … She be surreally sexy … nipples erect under the bossy fluorescence / of streetlamps … she was humid, a groaning anchor … mastered her bones … white as death … tried her Virgin Mary miraculous vagine … cigarette sobbing smoke … I helped rough up Sicilians … gangsters must be soldiers / never civilians … we’d tear out intestines as if ropes /  from a crimson pulley … faces looked like crushed crabs / only stench could be heard … (One mobster got sliced and diced … a happy dog jumped upon him / gobbled … High time to vamoose from Manhattan … crooks with a hard on / for a blonde wig and a boob job … we rummaged damagingly / every property Sophia conned open … Shorty almost short circuited / when he heard our sentence … Bunny Yeager / is snapping Betty Page … Mao’s kickin the white boys outta China / impeccably sinister, as I must become.” 
            From “Spirituals” – “God never say no mumblin word … Our good god be a man of war … I hate the cross … Ogle Jesus … Wiley as Homer … gleans soulful sweets from his lyric orchard … Adam and Eve, like us, be Black …”
            George’s next poem was about the famous boxing match in 1938 between Joe Louis (the Brown Bomber) and Max Schmeling. He let us know that this one was written in the voice of Langston Hughes and informed us with a whisper that Hughes was “also a Communist!”
            From “Louis vs. Schmeling (1939)” – “Joe’s blows arrive from vesuvian depths / I watch Max’s shoes … like feet having a heart attack … I observe men’s hatted heads / jump and jerk like violin bows … Dude emerges as a sassy-ass assassin / set to wallop infuriatingly … that diplomat shat outta the asshole / of Berlin … Schmeling squats … Carpet bombings occupy that pale visage … he seems lame, then tumbling … like a ripped apart swan …”
            George explained that during the Fugitive Slave Act, any Black could be snatched off the street and shipped south, whether they were escapees or not. From “The New York Times Uncovers Arson” – “Slaves packed that burning house … Not even our most anxious guitars / get close to the precise noise / an infant makes / as fire eats through the flesh … Torrid immolation was their church … eligible to be destroyed … bodies looked like blackened fish … under the ragged moon … heart-strings sagged out of tune … The blazing house resembled a bird cage … (Many do skedaddle to Gam Sham … as discretely as poisons / slip into soups.) … My nightmare privilege was to hear … each crackling diminuendo of the darkies … Then showered down indifferent starlight … Raking the embers, I felt sick to find / a prune shaped man who’d burst open / his guts frying like all the pork / he likely loved to eat … One mother had a tarpaper spine / her face was a charred shoe // I even stepped on - and squashed - a heart … It squirted out as my foot pressed down … I stumbled over a hybrid body / a mulatto weeping caramel … a babe already a lantern / of lustrous flies … charred nudity / and lacerating sunlight … No crows will fuss over this burnt meat.”
            George announced that his last poem was going to be “Bessie Smith’s Seminal Blues (ca 1935)”. As an introduction, he recounted how Smith had died on the road trying to get to a Negro hospital because the nearby White hospital had refused to give her a blood transfusion. George was about to read, but then he stopped and decided that,  because we were in a church, he didn’t think it was appropriate to read it because it’s too raunchy. Some people moaned in disappointment. As George was turning the pages looking for another poem, I called out, “Jesus says it’s okay!” George said, “Okay, Christian, I will accept your permission!”
            From “Bessie Smith’s Seminal Blues (ca 1935)” – “Won’t take no mean bully for my daddy / Want no cock-jammed-up-his-arse fool … nor no blackface Uncle Tom fool … take a snake-hip man with a jackhammer tool … I like a gin-white belle who’s spinny / while her jaws be slurpin my tits / I make her twat twist and shimmy … Then apes leap atop each jigglin bitch … True: I’m an adventurous sistah / Got a bottomless uncanny cunt … Split white rum with rat’s-ass Rastus … I like boys with the Grand Canyon for brains … Serve me a gal … Her disobedient panties bubblin … sweet shenanigan juice … so she blushes and gushes blues.”
            Before leaving the stage, George told us that he had a CD of his poetry that he recorded with jazz musicians in Italy and that he was selling it for “Only twenty dollars.” The audience came back with the traditional ritualistic and comedic audience response to such a declaration of price: “Only twenty dollars?” George then turned this into a rhythmic call and response chant as he kept on repeating his phrase and the audience enthusiastically participated.
            One of the many striking aspects of George Elliot Clarke’s poetry is his rich command of vocabulary and his ability to not only marry sophisticated words and street words, but to do it in ways that create a type of syllabic music when they are read aloud. Because of this his writing takes on an odd but effective hybrid of academic and down and dirty language, as if he’d turned a reference library into a barrelhouse. It’s hard to describe in writing George’s reading style. His emphasis on certain syllables in a given phrase is quite often improvised and he may repeat an entire line once or twice for meaning and rhythmic effect, even though it’s not repeated in the text. George Elliot Clarke is one of the best poets around.
            Bänoo seamlessly continued with the second half of the open stage and I was the first one she called.
            I stood with my guitar in front of the microphones and joked that I couldn’t stand further back because George had just sucked all of the air off the stage. 
            I played and sang my translation of Jacques Prevert’s “Les Feuilles Mortes” – “ … Well, dead autumn leaves can be raked up and collected / That’s one thing that I did not forget / Yes, dead autumn leaves can be raked up and collected / but so as well can memories and regrets / that the north wind takes to be lost then / into the night’s cold oblivion / But one more thing that I have not forgotten / is when you used to sing me your song // And you and I were like that song / when you loved me and I loved you / and we both lived together as one / you loving me and me loving you // Ah, but life often unravels sweet romance / so silently and with so much ease / and the sea erases from the sand / the footprints of lovers / on the beach …”
            My playing wasn’t flawless but it wasn’t too bad. All my extra practicing out of fear of screwing the song up seemed to pay off.
            After me was Rajinerpal Pal. From “Why Now?” – “Because destruction has become an operating system … Because an entire history can be whitewashed … Because there are many ways of being held prisoner … Because the comedians have become the soothsayers … Because we celebrated too soon … Because the centre cannot hold … Because there is an unlimited supply of fresh hells … Because this is no time for silence.”
            Daniel Kolos read “A Sack of Sugar” – “Bombs exploded … Russian soldiers robbed civilians of jewellery … The residents were trapped … Russian soldiers hunted German snipers … soldiers in red-scarred helmets … I was in my mother’s arms … A soldier gave my mother a sack of sugar … She created small bags of sugar for other edibles …”
            From Cad Gold Junior’s poem – “I wake up from another dream of you in a cold sweat … not feeling myself … You are right beside me … laughing about the joke I made about your see-through crotchless panties … What I’m left with is my soul.”
            From Kintsugi’s first poem – “I never wanted children … One stayed on a little too long … A future was born.”
            Kintsugi sang her poem “Song of Loss” in a high voice – “I love you / I miss you / I want you / You were dead / You were dead / You were dead / I want you / I need you / I miss you / I love you / Love you / Love you.”
            I assume that Kintsugi chose her stage name after the Japanese method of repairing broken pottery with gold and lacquer in such a way that the cracks and break points become gorgeous golden patterns and the fixed pottery is considered to be much more beautiful for having been broken.
            From Jovan Shadd’s first poem – “I’m the club megapixels … Self promotion is the new language of achievement … Nothing exists that can’t be proven on the internet … so I’m waiting on notifications to notify me I’m still here.”        
            From Jovan’s second poem – “My mother and father when they call my name … the literature as litmus … I want to speak the same … I want to speak it so it differs.”
            From Khadeeja Sajid’s poem – “I’ll teach her everything I know … in six-point font … She’ll be half as comprehensible and twice as strong … She’ll have dark skin and dark remarks … She won’t be pretty and she won’t be quiet … She’ll be my poetry and I can’t wait to meet my baby.”
            George said he had to leave, but I bought one of his CDs before he left.
            Chai was wearing a t-shirt that was divided into two categories, a “Black List” and a “Green List”. The Black list had a column of environmentally damaging things and the Green list had the opposite.
            Chai read the same poem that he has read at Shab-e She’r for at least the last six months, “The ABCDs of Climate Change” – “A is for Alberta … B is for B.C. … C is for California, Canada, carbon footprint … D is for downsizing … H is for hurricane … T is for torrents … W is for do you wish or want a weather wall by your window … Reduce your carbon footprint … No poem can save you … They do not need your approval … There is no app.”
            John Mathew had a long black beard and long black hair that was dyed at the back and sides. He shared that he’d been writing for two months. He read three poems.
            From “Body” – “Feminine … Unabashedly feminine … A tapestry woven … Sexual, textual … I can’t find it doctor … Femininity not in this body …”
            From “This is You” – “Your fascinations with my oscillations … I’m sorry you’re pressed … Trespassing your fiefdom … I’m unlike you.”
            From “Child” – “I was was I … Son daughter … Chest out, standing tall … Wrong … Boy … I am was always my mother’s child / I still will be.”
            Susan sang with a strong and impressive voice, her poem in the form of an old style slave chant at the very roots of the Blues, with accompaniment from Nick Micelli as he played the response to each call with mallets on a tone drum.
            From Susan’s poem - “Master … move them bones … Mistress caught them when she come on home … A child was born, twas lily white … She done died when she had that child … Put your body on the garbage heap … Mistress move to a county over there … Mistress says she moved cause she got so feared … Master’s lily white child work along side … Put that shovel in the ground … He wants her buried and he wants her blessed … Master take a Bible done say your prayer … He done bury her there … No mistress here, no mistress I see … He gonna wait till he gonna die … He gonna join she in the big blue sky.”
            Rex Ricardus read “Traditions” – “ … Nobody with my blood understood … I hate my family … They never found that some things are more important than others … Look daddy, see what I can do … Learning to do something for the very first time … Not traditions anymore, just symptoms …”
            Shafia Al-Khair explained that his poem had been written during the Arab Spring “when everyone was happy!” The poem was called “Osiris” and Shafia told us he could only read it in Arabic.
            The final poet of the night was Tom Smarda, who stepped onto the stage with his guitar before Bänoo had a chance to introduce him. In introducing his song, Tom said, “There’s a reason we create poverty … There’s a choice between starving and joining the military.”
            From “Recruitment Into the Military” – “If people could be coerced into jumping off the roof of a downtown office tower and yell some nationalistic slogan, and were told that they’d get a medal if they enlisted, would they do it? Would they make the ultimate sacrifice … Get hit with teargas … Get hit with batons … The full weight of the military state against those who demonstrate … Would politicians ever think to send their own kids … Would we be any closer to peace?”
            At the end of the song I shouted, “Sign me up, Tom!”
            He called back, “You’re drafted, Christian!”
            Before leaving I went over to chat with Cy Strom, who was with Laura DeLeon and Nick Micelli. Nick brought up the piece that I’d done and that I’d mentioned it was a translation. I explained that I’d translated it from Jacques Prevert and that the music was by Joseph Kosma, with whom Prevert collaborated on both songs and movies. Prevert wrote the screenplays for several films, most notably, “Les Enfants du Paradis”, which is my favourite film of all time, and Kosma wrote the scores. Cy of course was familiar with the song “Les Feuilles Mortes” and with a famous and less interesting English adaptation called “Autumn Leaves”. At that moment I couldn’t pull the lyricist’s name out of my memory. The name “Mercer” kept on popping into my head but I kept thinking that it couldn’t be Rick Mercer. On the way home I recalled that it was Johnny Mercer.
            Cy commented that in my performance there had been only momentary hints at the original melody and he assumed that was my intention. I confirmed that I usually try to make my adaptations different from the originals. I admit that my version is barely recognizable musically but it’s also much closer in meaning to “Les Feuilles Mortes”. I could learn to play my version in the original, recognizable style, but mine just evolved a different way but I still think it sounds good anyway, though probably less sweet.
            When I was unlocking my bike, Tom left the church and came over to hug me goodbye. He told me that he prefers my own songs to my translations. I told him I can do both. The translations are an interesting writing exercise and they also expand my guitar playing into unfamiliar styles and chords.
            After Tom left, Cad came up and walked with me almost to Ossington, all the while telling me about all the many wealthy, successful and sexy girlfriends that he claims to have nowadays, that are all doctors and lawyers and that love him for his body and his intellect. I’ve noticed that since Cad turned 60 this year his “girlfriends” have suddenly become professional women. Strange though that none of these successful women that are supposedly nuts about him ever go with him anywhere or even show up on social media.



No comments:

Post a Comment