Saturday 16 December 2017

Helene Stanley



            Friday was a day for getting caught up on my journal after going dark to study and then write my exam.
            In the late morning I saw my phone light up with a Toronto number and so I answered it. The woman’s voice asked if I was Christian. Always suspicious of bill collectors I asked, “Who’s calling?” It turned out to be Goldie. It turned out that she was in the hospital and was surprised that I didn’t know. Cad had mentioned on Facebook that he’d gotten barred from the hospital but he hadn’t mentioned Goldie at all.
            Goldie was recovering from surgery in the burn unit at Sunnybrook after sustaining third degree burns in a cooking accident. Apparently Cad had gotten kicked out of the hospital after resisting wearing latex gloves while visiting Goldie’s room but also arguing with and threatening the nurses with a lawsuit over Goldie’s food. Goldie had told the hospital that she was a vegetarian but they had given her a vegan diet, which she didn’t like because she’s a lacto-vegetarian.
            Goldie was upset and disappointed with Cad because she considers him inconsiderate and selfish. He’d gone down to the hospital food court and Goldie had asked him to bring something back for her, but he came back with nothing. She also thought it was pretty selfish that he didn’t care about visiting her enough to comply with a few simple rules.
            She may have been talking through her immediate emotions and not her long-term thoughts, but Goldie confessed that she’s considering either kicking Cad out of the apartment they share or moving out herself. I told her that she could probably find legal grounds to evict Cad, since she’d had the apartment first.
            I suggested that I might visit her but she said she didn’t want any visitors. She might have just been saying that though.
            I left an angry comment on Cad’s Facebook page about him not following the rules for visiting burn victims. A few hours later he called me to give his side of the story. His hospital excuse was unconvincing. A lot like Vicky Pollard’s “Yeah but, no but …” excuses on Little Britain.  He did tell me that he pays the entire phone and cable bill plus half the rent in their shared apartment, while Goldie had only told me that he never buys any groceries or helps her with gas for her car. I don’t know how that all balances out financially but Cad seems to get the better of that relationship.
            That night I watched an episode of Mike Hammer that had an interesting actress playing the femme fatale. Her name was Helene Stanley and five years before this episode she’d been just divorcing her husband of two years, the gangster Johnny Stompanato who was an enforcer for the Cohen Crime Family. He had been a marine fighting in the South Pacific during World War II. Then he was stationed in China just after the war where he fell for a Turkish woman and converted to Islam to marry her. He took her back to Indiana and they had a son but she walked out on him shortly after that. He moved out to California where he became a bodyguard for Mickey Cohen. He started dating Ava Gardner and Frank Sinatra asked Cohen to tell him to back off but Cohen told Frank to mind his own business and go back to his wife. In 1948 Johnny married Helen Gilbert but she divorced Johnny a year later. In 1952 he left the Cohen Crime Family when he met Helene Stanley and started dating her. He married her a year later and became her manager. They divorced two years later. Throughout the 1950s he was arrested seven times for everything from vagrancy to suspicion of robbery. In 1957 he entered into an often abusive relationship with Lana Turner. He became so jealous of her relationship with Sean Connery that he flew all the way to the UK to threaten Connery with a gun on a movie set. Connery was a bit of a tough guy himself and he easily disarmed Johnny by just grabbing his wrist and forcing him to drop the gun. In 1958, while Johnny was having a violent argument with Lana Turner, Turner’s teenage daughter stabbed Johnny to death.

The Death of Johnny Stompanato”
(from the point of view of Lana Turner) by Rene Ricard

Give me a coffee, no sugar to go
The night is black as a limousine
The streets are as wet as a drunk’s kiss
and my mouth’s as dry as a martini
9:00 P.M.
Good morning Hollywood!
Was my name in the papers today?
Take me home Joe,
the long way
You think I’m no good
No, of course you don’t
You’re safe if you don’t fuck me, right?
Relax, that was a joke!
You think I did it
No, I didn’t even say anything
I hate my life
What movie was that from?
I wanted to die for months but didn’t pick up the option
Hate can give you life
I hated him so much
His threats cheered me on
Each time he fucked me I hated him more
He got smaller and smaller as my hate grew
He crawled on my famous body
I paid for it
When you pay for a man he becomes the woman
He called me old and I was paying for it
Brother, the screwing I was getting wasn’t worth the screwing I was getting
The papers call him a gangster
Are all men in dark suits gangsters?
He was no gangster
He was a whore
I need a drink
Oh sure, he beat me regular
and I paid for it
When you’re rich you pay for everything
When you fuck a star you’re an extra
and I never let him forget it
the pussy!
I loved to make an asshole of him
and became addicted to his humiliation
The lower I could make him crawl the taller I stood
Of course he understood none of this
He thought it was his possessive Latin blood
It wouldn’t occur to him that every time he hit me
he became more of a woman
I paid for each slap
All men in dark suits are gangsters
As a starlet I was frightened of grown men
They all looked like gangsters
Who else goes to nightclubs?
I learned that they would do anything for my tits
but all the men that you meet in this town are gangsters
or ferries
The brass at MGM: gangsters of movies
The industrialists gangsters of industry
The restaurateurs: Cocktail gangsters
The society boys: Gangsters of family
and all the gangsters I fucked
Grown men became little girls to me
sucking on my white tits
the cum drooling from my famous pink hole
I learned to love danger
and as I got older, even greater danger
and as the men got younger
and less powerful
I would make them gangsters
I bought him the suit
and the gun
for my protection
the only protection I needed was from him
I’m only 36
In this racket that reads 136
Wrinkles don’t really show up on film
but the makeup girl treats you like the mummy’s mother
We’ll need more work today!
And then they light you like a cracked jar
They give you Beulah Bondi’s rejects to read
And when you get home
exhausted
and only want a drink
a pill
and pyjamas
because you have to be back there at 6:00
the gigolo calls you an old fart because you don’t want to go to Ciros
so you submit to that mild form of boxing called love
Then, happy he’s earned his keep
he picks your pocket
drives off in your blonde Lincoln
and then you pass out
There’s only one definite thing about movies
when you have a tight shooting schedule:
they’ll keep you up
they’ll make you cry
they’ll beat you
they’ll leave you
but they won’t leave you alone
and you get to the studio with a headache
looking like “who did it and ran?”
You ask them to light the jewellery
the props
anything but your face
We need more work today
and tomorrow
and the next day
And then the reviews come out
“No more just a beauty!
This performance was dazzling
mature
and was an unexpected depth of character!”
I wasn’t being paid for depth
or character
or maturity
I was supposed to be beautiful
I want a drink
I don’t know what happened
I was young then I was old
I was paid for then I paid
Everything seems like it happened yesterday
Or so long ago
it happened to someone else
I’ve been called a bad woman
I don’t know
I was in a bad business that does bad things to people
And I don’t know
I was young to die
but so was he
He died in a movie star’s white bedroom
That’s better than the gutter
And I matured
as they say
I think it was him or me
I may have been part of a tragedy
but I’m not sure if the tragedy was his death or my life
or just the story around us
or if I’m capable of …
What’s the use
It was so long ago
Now we’ll never know what happened
Maybe I did it

Helene Stanley was apparently the live model on which several Disney animated characters, such as Cinderella were based. In this episode of Mike Hammer, she had some interesting mannerisms and took on more than one voice. When she thought Mike Hammer was connected in the entertainment industry she began talking like a dumb blonde. She sang “I’ll Never Smile Again” by Canadian songwriter, Ruth Lowe twice. Lowe wrote it after returning to Toronto to mourn for her husband, Harold Cohen, who died in surgery. This song was a big hit in 1940 for Tommy Dorsey’s Orchestra and his young lead singer, Frank Sinatra. It was Sinatra’s first big hit.
           



           



No comments:

Post a Comment