Wednesday 13 December 2023

Catherine Tate


            On Tuesday morning I worked out the chords for the first two lines of “Tout a été dit cent fois” (It’s Been Said a Hundred Times) by Boris Vian. There are five lines left. 
            I finished transcribing the chords for the English version of the Hungarian song “Gloomy Sunday” as performed by Billie Holiday. I’ll look for other sets of chords and then I’ll find out if any of them fit with the French version by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I played my Martin acoustic guitar during song practice for the second session of two. 
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I washed the Masonite that I’d glued to the floor in front of my kitchen counter. I measured the space to try to figure out how to make 30 cm squares but just started with trying to divide the area directly in front of the counter in half widthwise. I divided the width in half and measured off that distance from the counter, marking it off along the middle of the width with little bits of Frog tape, but it looked uneven. I pulled all the tape off and this time just measure the halfway mark of the width at each end where I could mark it with a pen without touching the Masonite and ruining my paintjob. Then I just stuck the Frog tape at one of the marks and then unravelled the roll to the other end of the Masonite, then stuck it down. That came out even but that was all I had time for and won’t have time to work on it again until maybe Friday. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I’ve been at midday in a week. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I was just past Dufferin and headed home when I was passing a guy on a rental bike who was balancing a garbage bag of beer cans. I’ve been looking out for someone collecting cans for the last few months so I asked him if he wanted some cans. He followed me to my place and I think he just expected me to bring down a few but I handed him two garbage bags full of Creemore cans and he was surprised and appreciative. He was doing me a favour too because it’s really not worth my time anymore to lug all those cans to the Beer Store to cash them in for just a few dollars. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:41. 
            I compared the video of my August 9 acoustic song practice performance of “L’accordion” to that of August 11. They are about the same in terms of playing but August 9 looks better and there is less traffic noise. I compared August 15 to August 9 and August 9 still looks better. I compared August 21 to August 9 and August 9 looks and sounds better. I compared August 25 to August 9 and August 9 has better light. There are three more to compare. 
            In my “Angeline” video project I edited the clip of Greta Garbo from the film Ninotchka down to about nineteen seconds. I probably only need two seconds or less so I’ll cut it down further tomorrow. 
            I finished scanning box two of the last eight boxes of slides. About half of the last eleven slides were more shots of my daughter on Sunnyside Beach and the rest were images of a large high contrast charcoal portrait of me on an easel in a studio with one artist working. 
            I grilled two steaks and had one with a potato and gravy while watching “The Wild Blue Yonder”, which is the second of the 2023 Doctor Who specials. At the end of the last episode the Tardis went out of control because Donna spilled coffee on the console. I’ll say one more time that is just silly since the Tardis itself made the decision to install the coffee machine on its own console. It redesigned the entire ship and if coffee spillage is a danger it would have put the machine someplace else. 
            The Tardis arrives on an enormously long and seemingly abandoned ship on the edge of the universe. The Doctor puts his sonic screwdriver on the outside of the Tardis in the police box keyhole and sets it to self repair mode. But shortly after that the Tardis goes away with the screwdriver and leaves them there. The Doctor surmises that the Tardis sensed danger and will return when the danger is abated. Moving down the long corridor in almost imperceptible slow motion is a rusted old robot. Although the ship has life support, lights, and some of its internal parts are functional, it is dead in space. The Doctor and Donna begin to work on repairing it. We see the Doctor in one white chamber adjusting pipes and we see Donna in another room that looks like it contains files in drawers. The Doctor walks in to the room where Donna is working and sits down. After chatting a while he says “My arms are too long”. Donna enters the room where the Doctor is working and after a while says the same thing. Then we see that Donna’s arms really are ridiculously long and the Doctor realizes it isn’t Donna. In the other room Donna sees the Doctor’s arms also stretch and she hears the Doctor calling her from elsewhere. The real Donna and Doctor run to each other as the out of shape copies advance towards them. They say they came from the Nothing. They chase the Doctor and Donna but their size becomes unmanageable and they get stuck in a corridor. The Doctor and Donna get separated when they fall through trap doors. But when they are reunited each does not know if the other is their real friend or the Not Things. The copies are gradually becoming better copies. Donna figures that their plan is to become the Doctor and Donna so completely that it will fool the Tardis when it returns. The Doctor realizes that they are also copying their thoughts and so he and Donna must stop thinking. The Doctor finds the ship’s captain three years dead outside the ship. She committed suicide to keep from being copied and set the ship on self destruct. The slow robot is on its way to push the destruct button. The Doctor speeds up the countdown and the Not Things rush to stop it. The Tardis returns but two Donna’s want on board. The Doctor picks the wrong one as the ship begins to explode. But the Doctor notices that Donna’s wrist is .06 ml too thick and ejects her, picking up the real Donna just in time. They return to London where they are greeted by Donna’s grandfather who tells them the world is ending because everyone has become violent. A plane crashes nearby. 
            Donna is played by Catherine Tate, who applied four times to enrol in the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama before she was accepted. Her first television jobs were appearances on The Bill and on London’s Burning. In 1996 she started doing stand-up comedy and by 1998 she was one of the main performers and writers on the short lived sketch comedy show Barking. She then co-starred for two seasons in the sitcom Wild West. She then starred in The Catherine Tate Show for three seasons in which she played many comedic characters that she’d created. In 2006 she began playing Donna Noble the companion of the tenth Doctor on Doctor Who. From 2011 to 2013 she co-starred in the US version of The Office. From 2009 to 2015 she starred in the sitcom Catherine Tate’s Nan. Recently she starred in the sitcoms Hard Cell and Queen of Oz.



No comments:

Post a Comment