Friday 22 December 2023

December 22, 1993: I performed my song "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" at the Fat Albert's Christmas party


Thirty years ago today

            On Wednesday night I went to the Fat Albert’s Christmas party. I signed Angeline in but we were both at the end of the list and so we performed almost before it was all over. I did my songs “Hungry Hippunk Goes to Work” and “Sixteen Tons of Dogma”: 

Well your distant early warning 
says the blues are on their way 
and that psychic malinforming 
almost had me fooled today 
but I drove here in my karma 
and dented yours along the way 
See I was late for my fate
and time was thick today

I don’t need to need get no exorcise
no spirit running low
though the vampire and the succubae 
have got me in tow
I don’t need to get my crucifixed 
but I’ll spit a shine on my halo
‘cause I’ve got sixteen tons of destiny 
already set to roll 

I took my crayons to a séance
and I drew the Queen of Cups 
She said “If you don’t know the law
you’ll have to make it up” 
So I said “Demonic possession
is nine-tenths of the law
cause I’ve got this itch that needs scratching
by some demon lover’s claw

Way back at the astral-body shop
they’re gassing up my rig 
the fuel-trend is now anti-pain
though pro-pain once was big
yeah they are putting in new chakras
to bounce that sixteen-ton payload
so that my eighteen wheels of fortune
will soon be burning up the road 

Well it’s so fun to be mental 
funtobementalism’s in 
I spent my nights contriving
an original sin
but the Devil filed a lawsuit 
it was a copyright case
and so my sixteen tons of destiny
had a setback in the race

I forgot my catechism
catechism got my tongue 
so I smoked pranayama cigarettes
and coughed up one more lung 
then I played Akashic records
until they warped in space and time
then I picked grapes of wrath so righteous
off the clinging divine

I dialed up the Dalai Lama
for our daily dialogue 
and detailed my dilemma 
of a dogma dealing god 
but he kept calling me Delilah
and dug me with his transcendental drill
then he injected me with mercury
‘til my aching truth was filled

I’d trade a million inno-dollars 
for a hundred innocents
to fill the UFO collection plate
and pay for the event 
of the second coming sequel
to be broadcast both dead and live
while I sideswipe a satellite
sixteen tons in overdrive 

Reincarnation! Holy ‘vaporated ghost
is crossing channel-five
between two bodies’ flesh wrapped coasts
I have been down this road so often
I almost know myself by now
but once I get the “who” down
I’ll need the “where and when and how”

Some soma smoking gopi roping
Krishna knocked me down
some sumo-wrestling comet-rustling
rodeo clown 
hog-tied me with my kundalini
and weighed me on the music scale
He said “You’ll need a harder highway
for those sixteen tons of mail”

In some tenth-dimension living room
the angels watch tv
scanning seven-zillion channels
of sub-reality
they’ve got this one cult favourite
it’s a kind of slapstick comedy 
all about the dark night of the spirit
and the lead looks just like me 

My shaman Shamus was ashamed and said
"You need a vision quest" 
so I checked into his perspiration lodge 
and optometrist’s 
where I fasted 'til I puked up
the purest form of hydrogen 
then I saw that my spirit animal 
is a homeless guy named Glen 

Well roly-poly poltergeist 
Casper goes to bat 
up against the Holy Trinity 
in a weird ménage-a-quatre 
He's in bed with ectoplasmic Gumby 
Wendy Witch and Doctor Strange 
while my sixteen tons of destiny 
shoot the rapids in god’s veins 

But sixteen tons
and what do you get? 
Another incarnation
but you’re not home yet 
Hey Siva don’t you call me
'cause it just won’t work 
They crushed my soul 
in the robot church 
Amen 

            Angeline did her song “Love Junkie”. When it was over Mary Milne drove us to Angeline’s place where I spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment