Monday 20 May 2024

Richard Dreyfuss


            On Sunday morning I memorized the fourth verse of “On fait des rêves” (We Keep Dreaming) by Boris Vian. That’s all of the verses but there are repetitions and so I just have to memorize the sequence of when certain lines are sung again. I should have that done tomorrow. 
            I finished working out the chords for “Quoi toi moi t’aimer tu rêves” (What You Love of Me is Just a Dream) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through singing and playing it in French and English then I uploaded it to my Christian’s Translations blog. I should have it published on Monday. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the final session of four. 
            I weighed 87.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I finished sanding my bathroom ceiling. I’m deeply relieved that’s over but of course I’ll have to do it again after plastering. 
            I weighed 87.9 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of raspberry iced tea. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. On the way home along Queen Street someone behind me called out, “Let’s go buddy!” Then a tense cyclist with a shaved head passed me and barked, “You’re a slow fuckin driver!” A few blocks later without changing my pace I passed him. I was stopped for a red light at Ossington when he rode through it while smoking a long, thin cigar. At Dufferin he crossed the street and headed south. 
            I weighed 87.6 kilos at 17:13. 
            Around 18:30 I realized that I’d forgotten to buy beer. I rushed out to the liquor store but I was half an hour too late. Plus tomorrow is a holiday and they might not be open. The only nearby Beer Store that will be open tomorrow is the one at Bathurst and College. 
            While out on the street I ran into my back rooftop neighbour Taro who told me he’d just been assaulted. He’d been doing tricks on his bike and filming himself when someone thought that he was filming children. I told him that my upstairs neighbour Cesar died. Cesar had always hassled him for barbecuing on the roof so Taro said, “Good riddance”. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:00.
            I deleted the “La bas c’est natural (acoustic)” Movie Maker project I’d started yesterday because it was copied from the video of my August 6 song practice rather than September 6. I copied September 6 and created a new “La bas c’est natural (acoustic)” project. I edited out the part of the video before that song. The audio was behind the video and so I cut it until they were a second or so apart. I should have them synchronized tomorrow. 
            In the Movie Maker project to create a video for the studio recording of my song “Angeline” I copied the 1926 film Torrent again to the end of the timeline. I then isolated the part that shows Greta Garbo holding a guitar and inserted that into the main video just before I sing, “like a mountain range”. I then deleted from the concert video the part where I sing “You’ve got problems”. At this point the studio audio was ahead of the video by about a second so I had to cut the video at the beginning of the instrumental bit by bit. By the time I quit for the evening I almost had “like a mountain range” synchronized. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a sliced hot honey sausage, and five-year-old cheddar. It was weird having pizza without a beer but I had it with a glass of raspberry iced tea while watching season 2, episodes 33 and 34 of Bewitched
            In the first story Darrin and Samantha have been planning a trip to Miami for a long time. On several previous occasions last minute work has come up to prevent Darrin from going. This time he has promised they will go and Darrin is planning on leaving with Samantha right after work. But just before he leaves his boss and the client come in and Larry insists he’ll have to cancel his plans because they need him to work on the client’s campaign. Samantha is disappointed and her mother Endora feeds off that emotion to argue what a bad catch Darrin is. She says he’s no fun but Samantha says he has his fun side. Endora decides to make two Darrins from his two sides. The responsible one wants to stay in his den and work, while the other wants to take Samantha to Florida. When Samantha learns there are two Darrins she does not approve but Endora suggests that she ask the responsible Darrin if it’s okay for her to go to Florida with her mother. Samantha is surprised when the responsible Darrin says it’s a good idea for her to go. But in Florida the fun Darrin does nothing but party and he’s dipping into their savings. She brings the responsible Darrin to Florida and tells Endora to put them back together. Endora says it may be difficult unless they are willing to run and crash into each other. Samantha has an idea. She opens the door and tells both Darrins that one wants to go back to work and the other wants to party. She says the first one through the door gets their wish. They rush and end up crashing into each other to become one again. 
            In the second story a young man she doesn’t recognize appears in Samantha’s kitchen. He seems to know her and mentions he may have changed since she used to babysit him. Now she remembers it’s Rodney. Rodney has always been in love with Samantha and now insists they go away together. She is far superior at witchcraft than the young warlock but she is trying to keep a promise to Darrin not to use magic and it’s now the 29th day. She tries to convince Rodney that she is in love with Darrin and they have a relationship based on trust. Rodney sets out to prove her wrong. Later Darrin finds a dog at his front door and he is smitten with it right away. He puts an ad in the paper but hopes no owner responds because Darrin wants to keep him. Samantha tells Darrin that the dog is Rodney but he doesn’t believe her. She is upset that Darrin doesn’t trust her. He says he’s going to sleep in the den with the dog. Darrin pretends to go to sleep and catches Rodney when he transforms to his true form. Darrin wants to punch him but he turns back into the dog. Darrin and Samantha don’t know what to do with him but then the doorbell rings. A woman says she’s come for her dog. Darrin thinks it’s a mistake but the woman calls Rodney by name and tells him to come out. Samantha says this is Rodney’s mother. She gets Rodney to change back by threatening to give him a flea and tick bath. 
            Rodney was played by a very young Richard Dreyfuss, who in the mid to late 60s had small movie parts and guest appearances on television. His first film role was a small part in The Graduate. In the early 70s he started getting attention for his film performances. He played Baby Face Nelson in Dillinger. He starred in American Graffiti, The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Goodbye Girl (for which he won an Oscar), The Big Fix, The Competition, Whose Life is it Anyway, The Buddy System, Tin Men, Stakeout, Moon Over parador, Always, Once Around, Silent Fall, Another Stakeout, Lost in Yonkers, Mr. Holland’s Opus (For which he was nominated for an Oscar) , Krippendorf’s Tribe, Lansky, The Crew, The Old Man Who Read Love Stories, and Poseidon. He co-starred in Jaws, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Nuts, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, What About Bob, Night Falls on Manhattan, Driving Aphrodite, The Lightkeepers, Cas and Dylan, Madoff, and The Last Laugh. He co-wrote the science fiction novel The Two Georges. He’s a Mason. He hates rock music but loves Paul Simon. Paul Simon plays rock and roll sometimes.





No comments:

Post a Comment