Monday 6 May 2024

William Redfield


            On Sunday morning I continued to work out the chords for “Hey Mister Zippo” by Serge Gainsbourg by listening to the extract from the middle of the song on Apple Music. It’s an annoying way to do it because I have to keep jumping all over the song rather than working the music out sequentially. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice for the first of two sessions. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I’ve been in the morning since March 1. 
            Last night I tracked the package that I ordered sent to my daughter from Amazon and found out that it has been shipped to me and that they tried to deliver yesterday. I think they came just after I left for the supermarket. I clearly indicated that Astrid’s address in Montreal is the shipping address while mine is the default address. Tracking today says that it will be delivered between 12:15 and 16:15. I wanted to do some sanding of the bathroom ceiling but if I started I probably wouldn’t be able to hear anyone knock. I’m going to ask the courier to take it back and send it to the Montreal address but they probably won’t. I might have to send it by mail but that’s not fair. I already paid to ship it to Montreal. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos before lunch. That’s the heaviest I’ve been at midday since February 19. 
            I took a siesta and about halfway through my usually ninety minute nap I heard a knock downstairs. It was Purolator delivering my Amazon package. But it wasn’t a rice cooker but rather a square cast iron skillet. I tried to go back to sleep but I was too angry and so I looked into how I could return the item and get my money back. I had to print a label for the package’s return and take it to the Purolator depot, which fortunately is just a few blocks away. The guy said they’ve had people return packages that were the wrong item and some because they were the wrong address, but this was the first time they’d seen both the wrong address and the wrong item. As soon as my money is refunded I’ll try to order the item again. 
            I went home to pee and then took a bike ride as far as Bloor and Borden where I went into the Bulk Barn to shop for candy for my daughter. I usually go to Domino Foods at St. Lawrence Market but I thought I’d check out Bulk Barn. Bulk Barn actually has a much better selection and a better attitude. I found the person who runs Domino kind of annoying and not very friendly. Most of the employees seem to be teenagers. One of them let me use the washroom. They also have bag ties with labels so I could write down the name of each item I bought, which Domino doesn’t have. 
            I weighed 87.3 kilos at 18:11. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:10. 
            I uploaded the video of my electric performance of “Joanna Dancing”, my translation of “Joanna” by Serge Gainsbourg with music by Babatunde Olatunji. Now I can put “Joanna” and “Joanna Dancing” to sleep and start playing “Je Bois” or “Why I Drink” every day. 


            I reviewed the video of my August 4 song practice electric performance of “Kenya”. I screwed up the ending and didn’t do a retake. I also reviewed my August 5 acoustic rehearsal of “La bas c’est natural” and it was fine. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my song “Angeline” I knocked another twenty minutes off my copy of the 1926 silent film The Torrent starring Greta Garbo and kept a few short clips of Greta pretending to sing. There are twenty-three minutes left in the film. 
            In the movie, Leonora has been cold to Rafael since she returned because he never said goodbye when she left years ago. A wicked flood threatens the town and Rafael is worried about Leonora because her house is in its path. He and Cupido risk their lives to reach her in a very well shot scene. But she is fine and says the house has stood for a century. The next night there is a party for Rafael because he will soon be getting married to another woman. But he says he has a headache and leaves early. He goes to Leonora who declares that she loves him. They kiss and go walking together. 
            I made two patties out of ground chicken and grilled them in the oven. Then I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, one of the patties cut up, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 2, episodes 3 and 4 of Bewitched
            In the first story Darrin’s old army buddy Adam comes to stay for a while until he gets settled. He quit his job in his hometown on impulse and suddenly felt like moving “out here” (wherever “here” is on this show). Samantha does a double take when he says his home town is Salem. Suddenly Adam begins to experience accidents. To list a few: his bow tie falls in his soup, a wine glass moves and spills on his lap, his chair moves away just as he’s sitting down, and his salad attacks him. Samantha thinks he shows the symptoms of being under a curse and so she summons Aunt Clara. Clara opens her spellee book and Adam is right there between the New York Mets and Richard Nixon. His ancestor Adam Newlarkin was a judge in Salem who was cursed for condemning a witch. Tomorrow at 17:00 Adam will be the exact age as that judge was when he sentenced Zorelda and the curse will take full effect. He’ll steal a large sum of money and be convicted as a thief. Just then Adam returns to announce that he just got a job in a bank. Clara finds that the spell can only be counteracted if before 17:00 Adam kisses a spotted dog on the snout, is dunked three times, and finally he has to ride through the market like Paul Revere while shouting, “Witches are good, witches are dear!” The next morning they manage to convince him that it’s a family tradition to kiss a dog on the nose before breakfast. Darrin arranges to take Adam to lunch on a patio by a pool and knocks him in twice. Then Clara bumps him in in a third time. Finally the only way to get Adam to perform the final task is to tell him the truth. He believes it because he’s from Salem and would have done all the tasks if they’d just asked. So he does the last one and is saved. Someone else had stolen $750,000 from the bank and the curse had switched briefcases with Adam’s. After the curse is broken the money ends up back in the other guy’s case. 
            In the second story Larry and Louise are in London and have left their baby in the care of a nanny. But the nanny has suddenly taken sick and Larry calls Darrin to ask if he and Samantha will take care of their son until they come back. The nosy neighbour Gladys Kravitz sees the Samantha and Darrin rushing to their car at night and she assumes that Samantha has gone into labour. Her husband Abner reminds her that Samantha has only been pregnant for three months. When they come home two hours later Gladys is certain that Samantha had the baby. Abner asks when a mother every went into labour, left for the hospital and came home with a baby in two hours. The next day Gladys meets Samantha’s father Maurice and she tells him about the baby. He thinks that he is a now a grandfather and decides to take the baby away to educate him in witchcraft. Samantha and Endora search the globe in Maurice’s favourite haunts. Meanwhile Larry calls to tell Darrin they are on their way home. Darrin picks them up at the airport and uses every excuse to stall. Louise mentions she thought she saw her baby being carried by a man in London. Darrin lets Samantha know this and she goes there to The Warlock Club, which seems to be like a Playboy club for warlocks with kitty cat girl witches in skimpy cat costumes. Samantha can’t find her father but learns he was there and was embarrassed that his grandchild has no powers. Samantha returns home and then finds Maurice in the nursery feeling depressed. She makes him feel better when she informs him that it’s not her baby and so there is still a chance for a magical grandchild after all. Gladys sees him leave by walking through a wall and she gulps the giant martini he handed her. 
            In the first story Adam was played by William Redfield, who made his Broadway debut at the age of 9 in Swing Your Lady. He appeared in the original Broadway production of Our Town. He made his film debut at the age of 12 in Back Door to Heaven. He co-created and co-wrote the sitcom Mr. Peepers. He played Guildenstern opposite Richard Burton in 1964. He was one of the founders of The Actor’s Studio. He was a columnist for Playfair Magazine. His memoire was entitled Letters from an Actor. He starred in 83 episodes of CBS Radio Mystery Theatre. His most famous role was as Harding in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. But he died the year after the film was released and never got to enjoy the recognition it brought him.



No comments:

Post a Comment